Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Changing oil

Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil

Ok. So I have decided to start changing my own oil, like I have did on all my other vehicles, I let the dealer do the first one, but id feel better about everything if I did her myself.

So here is the question, I am looking for a good filter and good brand of oil to use on my Jeep. I only want to use the best stuff and I plan on keeping her as long as she will run.

What stuff do you guys recommend using?

Best,
Derek
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by derekls
Ok. So I have decided to start changing my own oil, like I have did on all my other vehicles, I let the dealer do the first one, but id feel better about everything if I did her myself.

So here is the question, I am looking for a good filter and good brand of oil to use on my Jeep. I only want to use the best stuff and I plan on keeping her as long as she will run.

What stuff do you guys recommend using?

Best,
Derek
Amsoil fully synthetic all the way
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

I do plan on every 3000 mile oil changes........... ive always done it that way

but how often should you with the syn?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

A few questions to ask yourself/think about: Does Amsoil meet all Jeep requirements. Is it a hassel to find? You have a 2008 so to keep lifetime warrenty in effect you need to be sure. Also the manual requires something like 6000 miles (not 3000 miles) so why do it more often. If you are concerned use a syn oil and push it to the 6000 mile limit. It is hard to beat Mobil 1. In regards to oil filter brands such as FRAM are inexpensive and worry me. I use Boesh, Mobil 1 or even Jeep filters.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe the book says 6000 miles OR 6 months. After reading how Shytsler is screwing some people by not replacing things covered under the lifetime warranty, I wouldn't chance it. I wouldnt do it yourself either, they will probably blame you for anything going wrong with the motor because of that.

Originally Posted by km5er
A few questions to ask yourself/think about: Does Amsoil meet all Jeep requirements. Is it a hassel to find? You have a 2008 so to keep lifetime warrenty in effect you need to be sure. Also the manual requires something like 6000 miles (not 3000 miles) so why do it more often. If you are concerned use a syn oil and push it to the 6000 mile limit. It is hard to beat Mobil 1. In regards to oil filter brands such as FRAM are inexpensive and worry me. I use Boesh, Mobil 1 or even Jeep filters.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

I use mobile 1 oil and filter (i don't use the stock size, i use the slightly larger size that's a little longer, can't be positive on the benefit, but i read somewhere that it's better, i'll get the filter number and post it later, as i'm in work). I change mine every 4-5000, sometimes less if i do a lot of "hard" driving, like long trips or if i go wheeling a couple times, especially if i hit a lot of water/mud. I've always used mobile 1 in my turbo cars because it held up really well under the heat and stress, and the JK tends to get hot under the hood as well, and if you're going to be wheeling, that's a lot of stress on the motor too.

Also, something else i to consider are magnets. If you have an old computer hard drive laying around, crack it open and get the two magnets from inside of it (these magnets are very strong and last a long time which is important) and throw them on each side of the oil filter. They'll attract all the fine metal shavings that a new engine produces while breaking in and hold them in the filter (which is why strong magnets are important, as you don't want them to weaken and fall off allowing a surge of metal shavings to hit your engine at once). When you do your oil change, simply transfer them from the old filter to the new one. I still put them on even after 24,000 miles.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing your own oil is a good thing. Using a good brand oil, as well as a good filter is also a good thing. Here is a good link that I found years ago, and posted it on Jeepin.com back in 98. http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
As far as using an oversized filter, some do, however be careful, and know what you're doing.. Many oversized filters can and will fit, but may not have the same specifications, such as the proper pressure for the bypass valve, as the one designed for you vehicle. This could be cause for a dealer to void your warranty should anything happen to your engine as far as the lubrication system goes. I don't see the benifit gained for doing so, plus with the correct size filter, your oil level is at the correct level at 6 qts and not a 1/2 pint or so low.
I perfer synthetic, and use Mobil1 as well as a Mobil1 filter, and currently change oil and replace fillter every 3000 miles. I've used this brand oil and filter on my 94 XJ from day one back in 94. After about 3 years of use, I went to a modified change schedule. A complete change at 3000, then 3000 later replace filter and add 1qt, 3000 later a complete change again, and so forth,and have been doing this since 1997. I will most likely switch to this schedule on the JK after a few more years. The engine runs nice and quiet, has had no problems and the oil pressure is as what it was on day1. Some are leary about changing oil and filter, rather then letting the dealer do it, since the lifetime powertrain warranty, however if you keep records and receipts, there should be no problem. (I don't even know if receipts are needed). I keep a running log on all maintenance actions I perform, as well as any other things I do, install or replace on both my XJ and JK, on the home computer, and have always done this. It gives a good detailed look at what has been done, when it was done, the miliage at the time, and how much I've spent, and I'm sure if need be, it would be proof that any maintenance required has in fact been accomplished at the correct intervals.
Although synthetic oils are a bit more expensive, they perform much better than dino oils, and are less prone to breakdown at high temperatures, as well as quicker flow rates during cold weather, and normal start ups. There are many test results posted on the net, so it is fact, and not just someones bable.

Last edited by Lorrel; 05-16-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are going to change oil vey regularly (5000 mile or less intervals) and insist on using "synthetic", use the "synthetic" Mobil-1 that has the silver cap. The "real" synthetic Mobil-1 is a bit more expensive and has a GOLD colored cap and is good for 15k miles.

I have always done my own basic maintenance on my cars, but with this lifetime warranty I am actually going to have an actual Jeep dealer do each and every service including oil changes. By doing this, they will have an electronic service history showing that THEY did all of the maintenance and will never be able to accuse me of doing something to void my warranty. My last 4x4 lasted me 15 years and I sold it because it reached the point where $5000 repair bills were imminent. I expect at least the same 15 years with this Jeep and might just keep it forever and make Chrysler honor their warranty until I die.

Even though I know I could treat my engine better with high quality specialty synthetic oils like I do with my other cars, I'll let them use whatever they want to since they own the drivetrain, not me.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use Mobil 1 oil and filter. To an earlier point I use the silver cap. I schedule in my head for 3500 but sometimes it gets to 4500 which is why I use Mobil 1. Just in case.

I keep my vehicles for 10 to 15 years and have had no problems with this schedule. As I am in Canada the 08 (which I have) Lifetime warranty does not apply.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Mopar filter and Castrol GTX 5w 20 every 3k.

Quick Reply: Changing oil