Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Changing from 18" to 17" tires?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept my stock 18" rims and went with Goodyear Duratrac's. They are an awesome tire and look great!!!!! I dont have a lift either (YET)!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Diamond
JeepDawg
Maybe you can give me some advice 2 month old wrangler JK.Stock no lift.Have tp speak to the dealer here to see if I can add the daystar 1 3/4"lift with out affecting the warranty.But for now
I would like to put on 18 x 8.5 offset +32 ultra thunder wheels with 275 65 18 wrangler mtr/kevlar
or Bridgestone dueler revoII's.
The only thing I am worried about is how stiff the wranglers will be(It is my first choice)
I have read some other posts that I can go up to the size I want without rubbing on stock wheels
Do you know about these size rims If I would get any rubbing or other issues
Thanks
If you haven't yet, read this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...74&postcount=3 (Edit...started this post over an hour ago....see where others referenced the FAQ too)

Here are some questions for you:

* Offset is different than back spacing - what is the back spacing of that wheel? A 275/65 is basically a 32"x11" tire.....and a 32x10.50 is the Rubicon stock tire with a 6.25" back space. Follow this link: http://www.ultrawheel.com/pdf/rims/247b.pdf If I found your desired wheel, it has a back space of 6"......that may be close on the 11" wide tire.....I'd buy the one with the 5.25" backspacing and test fit it.....but that's me.....something under 4.75" is your safest bet.

* How will you use your JK - heavy wheeling, some wheeling, frequent full extension, mall crawler, etc.?

* Why do you want 18" tires? They cost more, are higher load rated (stiffer) and fewer choices.

Last edited by JeepDawg; 08-10-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Checkked it nothing about my tire and wheel size
I'd have to disagree. That FAQ is quite relevant to what you're asking, and will certainly give a ballpark answer to whether or not a tire/rim combo will work. Just because it doesn't state the 'specific' rim and tire by name, doesn't mean the numbers are wrong...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

everyone give me a link to the FAQ, but there is no mention about my tire size original 255 70 18
My JK will be a mall crawler, ocasionally off road hunting season.
You got exactly the wheel I want.
Why I want 18" is everyone including the salesman told me to stay with 18" in case anything goes wrong,the dealer can not blame the wheel tire combo, because Like I said it is only 2 months old.
I am not to teck savvy,That is why I ask these questions maybe someone out there did this.
I had come across one poster which did the same thing,but I can no longer find it.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The FAQ lists :
255/75/17 = 32.1" x 10" (this is the Rubicon tire size)

Instead of this:
255/70/18 = 32.1" x 10" (this is the optional Sahara tire size)

Looks kinda similar, doesn't it? It does not matter at all that these tires have different rim sizes, they are the same height and width, and both are equipped from the factory. (The faq's can't possibly have every bit of information for every single combination that everyone may have. But there is certainly enough there to get people pointed in the right direction...)

These are the wheel sizes that come stock on JK's:
16 x 7.0, 17 x 7.5, 18 x 7.5

The Backspacing on all factory wheels is 6.25".

Whether you choose 18" rims/tires, or 17" or drop down to 16" is up to you. As long as the rims have the right bolt pattern and backpace/offset and are wide enough for the tire, and as long as the tires are the right size for your current lift, (or lack of lift) you'll be fine.

If you choose to add a lift, and if you want to go to a larger tire, the faq gives some pointers on how tall you can go with various lift heights, how wide you can go with various backspacing, whether you might need wheel spacers, what wheel spacers are, what problems with rubbing you might encounter, etc. (again, it doesn't matter a bit that it doesn't list the 'exact' tire/wheel/lift/whatever that you are looking for. )

Anyway, hope you're getting the info you need, and good luck with the tire purchase.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you keep backspacing equal you can change "wheels or rims" from a 16" to a 18" pretty much with no worries. Just look at it this way (oversimplified so sorry don't mean to insult anyone) the "rim" is pretty much just the basic carrier for the tire.
The tire is what really affects your riding, handling, milage etc etc. The bigger the tire the slower it turns, which takes more effort from the engine to maintain a set speed, milage etc etc. Smaller tires cause the reverse effect. i.e. higher RPM's, less milage, more wear & tear on your vehicle. For instance a tire 37" tall covers lets say 9 feet in one revolution, a 27" tire covers 5 feet so to cover the same ground in the same time it will have to turn faster. (no where exact measurements just an example)
So unless you have swapped rotors or calipers for the really big ones that require larger rims for spacing/clearamce then you should have no problems.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

Ok Thank you, now I kind of got the picture
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Black Diamond-

Go read my post here: http://www.jk-forum.mobi/showthread....93#post1278993

You have so many options on wheels and tires....but 18s are very expensive. I have never heard of a dealer giving you grief over wheels and tires (I'm sure one somewhere has....) But think about it this way...jeeps come stock with 16, 17 and 18" tires....if you bought any one of those, you would be right in line with production jeeps. Also, you want a tire that is the same height as a stock Rubicon tire. Finally, you could keep your stock wheels and tires and swap those back on for trips to the dealer.

Like I said, you have lots of options. nthinuf and I are linking to the FAQs because it gives you the information for you to make an informed decision....it is not a glossary of every wheel and tire made.

If you go with the 275/65 tire and a wheel with 5.25" or less back spacking and you don't wheel it at full flex, you don't 'need' a lift unless you just want it. It sounds like you had concerns about getting one.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Changing from 18" to 17" tires?