Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil, reuse filter Question?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
kik
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones
Change the filter. It's like taking a shower but putting back on your dirty underwear. Always put on clean shorts.
This is great. I don't want to believe that after spending thousands on mods. that someone wouldn't go for a new oil filter. I can't believe it, don't want to believe it, refuse to believe it.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kik
This is great. I don't want to believe that after spending thousands on mods. that someone wouldn't go for a new oil filter. I can't believe it, don't want to believe it, refuse to believe it.
I think u need to tone down the attitude man, its a legitimate question, it just as legitmate as all these people saying they go 10,000 miles without an oil change. I didnt say I was going to def do it, just wanted a rational discusion about it. Your last post is not helpful except for padding ur post count.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Im sorry, but I have to agree with the majority here, and say change the oil and the filter at the same time. It just stands to reason that if you think the oil needs changing, why would the filter be any different. I would rather run a less expensive filter than the K&N and change it more regularly than keep an expensive filter on for longer periods, unless I leave the oil in for that lenght of time as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I think u need to tone down the attitude man, its a legitimate question, it just as legitmate as all these people saying they go 10,000 miles without an oil change. I didnt say I was going to def do it, just wanted a rational discusion about it. Your last post is not helpful except for padding ur post count.
I do think it's a legit question. And, you're running a nice rig and it's not directed to you. Just trying to keep it a little light with the last line. Just trying to get you to change it, that's all, with a little humor thrown in. Whatever you decide is your decision. I don't even think about post counts. I do think that 10,000 miles between changes is extreme and not recommended by Chrysler and I know that from your posts you don't do that.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Didnt mean to jump down ur throat, ur post just came off as insulting for whatever reason. Words over the internet can easily be taken the wrong way.

I am just going to change the filter and the oil to be on the safe side. I hate dirty oil, I think it is an OCD thing. I prob will continue to use K&N because they are so easy to get off. I hate oil filter wrenches almost as much as dirty oil.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Didnt mean to jump down ur throat, ur post just came off as insulting for whatever reason. Words over the internet can easily be taken the wrong way.

I am just going to change the filter and the oil to be on the safe side. I hate dirty oil, I think it is an OCD thing. I prob will continue to use K&N because they are so easy to get off. I hate oil filter wrenches almost as much as dirty oil.
I am sorry it came off that way to you, it wasn't meant to at all. I still do the 3,000 mile oil and filter change I guess because it's been ingrained in me since I was a kid. Hard to change old habits. It can't hurt continuing to use a good filter even though it's a little expensive. I don't think you can go wrong changing both. Since it sounds like they are easily removed I'm going to consider it. I hate when there is a problem changing them.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, have you guys ever heard that oil is it's own colormetric indicator? Yea, if you read the dipstick through the oil, it's still good and once it is black enough to no longer read the dipstick without wiping, it is time to change...

Howard
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones
Change the filter. It's like taking a shower but putting back on your dirty underwear. Always put on clean shorts.

This is funny but very true. You oil filter is a cheap insurance to have a long term engine. I personaly would not skip on it.

SLIM
Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

If you are going to re-use the filter you should remove it & drain the old oil out of it first (or if it's one of those Mobil1's or Frams with the bad antidrainback valves then don't worry as the oil will have already drained out by itself), otherwise you will be adding a third of a quart or so of dirty old oil to your nice new oil.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Youri
...Did you know you can also crack eggs into your radiator to stops leaks...
They actually did that one on MythBusters and since it stopped the leak they said it was plausible...

Quick Reply: Change oil, reuse filter Question?