Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil, reuse filter Question?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Change oil, reuse filter Question?

I am going to change my oil tomorrow, its been about 2500 miles since I last changed it (4 months). Can I reused my K&N oil filter once? So in other words, Can I change the oil every 2500 miles and the filter every 5000 miles? Or should I just do both at the same time? I do not believe in super extended oil change intervals so dont try to concvince me, just thinking that a high quality filter should be good for 5000 miles so why not use it and just change oil.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Yes, it is standard to change the filter every other oil change. Most people change the filter every time, including me, for peace of mind. Rationally there is no reason to not keep the same oil filter. But when are we ever rational with our jeeps.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you are actually answering your own question. If you think the oil gets dirty enough to be changed at 2500 miles, then why wouldnt you think the filter gets dirty also an will lose its filtering capabilty? I think the filter is just as important as the oil an if you are usin a good filter then you should be using good oil and should change both together at round 4-5k.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would recommend you do things the other way around if you are wanting to avoid changing everything all the time...change the filter every 2500, full oil change with filter at 5000. The quality of the filter doesn't increase the longevity of it (much)...it filters the oil better and traps more contaminants...the contaminants in the filter will clog it over time and the oil will begin to bypass the filter. Leaving an old filter on when changing the oil leaves all of the trapped contaminants in the filter.

The oil itself lasts a good long time as they have significantly improved the lifespan of the additives. The reason you change the oil is twofold...remove the contaminants that have built up in the oil and to replenish the additives. By changing the filter out you remove the built up contaminants that have been trapped there and put in fresh filter media to catch more. The additives in modern oils are good for 7500 to 10000 miles easy.

Personally, I just follow the recommended guidelines from the manufacturer and change both the oil and filter at the recommended intervals. They tested this and arrived at an oil change interval that ensures minimal needs for warranty work...i.e minimal damage to the engine. Good enough for me!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you actually believe your oil is dirty enough after 2500 miles to change it, why would you NOT think the filter needs to be changed, as well. Your logic doesn't make sense.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I personlly dont think this ultra thin oil they use to improve fuel efficency lasts as well so thats my rational for changing it more frequenlty. I just hate to have to keep throwing on a 14 dollar filter every 3-4 months. I also dont believe in this extended oil life hogwash, I think 90% of it is propaganda by enviromentalists who hate our gasoline engines anyway. Not really a matter of dirt, more a matter of oil breaking down due to use.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 AM
kik
JK Freak

You would be better off using a Mopar filter and changing it with the oil on a schedule you're comfortable with than using a K&N filter and changing it every other time. As far as it being "standard" not to change the filter every time you change the oil, I have never seen that anyone would recommend that on this side of the international date line. Would you want to purchase a used JK if it was documented that the oil filter wasn't changed every time?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess I'll just change it. I can c chaning ur filter every time if u use a cheap piece of garbage made out of cardboard but It would seem that a high quality filter such as mobil one, and K&N would be ok for a while longer. Maybe I'll just switch to mobil one oil and change it every 5,000 miles. I just dont feel comfortable running regular oil that long.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I change my oil and filter at 6,000 miles, or 6 months whichever comes first.
If I change the oil in between, the filter will not know the difference. If the filter was good for the miles/time before, new oil will not suddenly make it no good.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Change the filter. It's like taking a shower but putting back on your dirty underwear. Always put on clean shorts.

Quick Reply: Change oil, reuse filter Question?