Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil light?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yo_marc
Over 10K does sound unnervingly high without using long life oils. If the light still isn't coming on after a few oil changes - That could be proof that it IS working. IE: It's smart enough to know the oil is still good even without resetting....
That would be nice! But the reverse would have to hold true as well, resetting without changing would shortly result in triggering the OCI again.

The OCI has no physical connection to the actual condition of the oil. It's independent, there isn't any sensor or other testing of the oil. The OCI just adds up certain weighted values until it reaches a set number.

If anyone is getting up around 10k miles and wonder if the oil has life left in it, send a sample to Blackstone Labs.

Or if the OCI has never gone off (and no one is resetting it on you) maybe it doesn't work.....
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do people actually go by the idiot light & not check their oil???!!! We have to change it every 3000miles because by then the engine has burn 2-3L of the 4.5L of oil in it haha Dealership wont help and say it's supposed to burn oil. I give up on dealerships. Forget about the idiot light, just check your oil routinely & if you go 9000 miles without checking, without an oil change & the engine dies...good luck with the warranty.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Jiblet! I didn't realize the ECU doesn't have any sort of physical way to monitor the oil. (My wifes long-interval car does, so I assumed the same.)

So with that said, I'm +1 for being skeptical of the JK's oil life monitor.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite3
Wow I hope your joking, change oil light comes on by a set number of miles. Whoever told you the oil visco thing was blowing smoke
I can certainly attest to the fact that it NOT a viscosity detector. Mine usually chimes in shortly AFTER the oil has been changed. It is the most annoying indicator on the JK in my opinion. Wish there was a way to disable it permanently like the seat belt chime (many thanks to whomever figured that one out). The last time the OCI went off I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway. It chimed every mile for about 17 miles until i could pull off and do the sequence to shut it off.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spencenaz
I can certainly attest to the fact that it NOT a viscosity detector. Mine usually chimes in shortly AFTER the oil has been changed. It is the most annoying indicator on the JK in my opinion. Wish there was a way to disable it permanently like the seat belt chime (many thanks to whomever figured that one out). The last time the OCI went off I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway. It chimed every mile for about 17 miles until i could pull off and do the sequence to shut it off.
The OCI should only chime once, and that should be a few moments after starting the engine, then not again until the next start unless the reset occurs.

I've never heard of it going off during a drive nor repeating itself. Sounds like something is wrong with that.

BTW, Is your JK a late-model year '07? I thought the 07's didn't have the OCI...?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
The OCI should only chime once, and that should be a few moments after starting the engine, then not again until the next start unless the reset occurs.

I've never heard of it going off during a drive nor repeating itself. Sounds like something is wrong with that.

BTW, Is your JK a late-model year '07? I thought the 07's didn't have the OCI...?
Yup, mine is an 07 and it does have the OCI. When it starts to chime it will continue until the procedure to kill it is performed. If you are moving rapidly it will only chime when you hit a stop light, but if you are in heavy traffic where you are stopping a lot it chimes once for each mile. I wish it didn't have it, or it could be shut off permanently. Once the chime is shut off it doesn't come back for a few months.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spencenaz
Yup, mine is an 07 and it does have the OCI. When it starts to chime it will continue until the procedure to kill it is performed. If you are moving rapidly it will only chime when you hit a stop light, but if you are in heavy traffic where you are stopping a lot it chimes once for each mile. I wish it didn't have it, or it could be shut off permanently. Once the chime is shut off it doesn't come back for a few months.
That sucks. I have never heard those symptoms before. Did you ever have a re-flash at a dealer? I remember a TSB for the OCIs back in 08.

found it:
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » TSB - FLASH: Oil Change Monitor Alerts Prematurely

Actually, your description sound a bit like the "mystery ding" from several years go, but I think that was for auto trans only.

When it dings at stop lights, etc. does the "Change oil" warning appear in the odometer or does it just ding?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
That sucks. I have never heard those symptoms before. Did you ever have a re-flash at a dealer? I remember a TSB for the OCIs back in 08.

found it:
Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » TSB - FLASH: Oil Change Monitor Alerts Prematurely

Actually, your description sound a bit like the "mystery ding" from several years go, but I think that was for auto trans only.

When it dings at stop lights, etc. does the "Change oil" warning appear in the odometer or does it just ding?
I'll look into that TSB there have been several TSBs and recalls over the years, but I don't remember hearing about that specific one. The only re-flash that I know of was early on when I had them re-flash for the BFGs. Reading the details of the TSB, mine was built in that time frame. I have always changed my own oil and did not think about resetting the indicator each time as they describe int eh TSB. I assume they mean performing the procedure that turns it off. I'll do that next time I change the oil and see if it stops.

When it dings it always displays the Change Oil in the odometer. I've never had the mystery ding issue, but I have seen threads about that here.

Last edited by spencenaz; 06-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Change oil light?