Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil light?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
simple way is just change it at 5000 mile intervals easy to remember 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 etc lol. That is what I am doing from here on forward.
Exactly! I cannot believe Jeepers are discussing an oil change idiot light (other than resetting it).
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt

simple way is just change it at 5000 mile intervals easy to remember 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 etc lol. That is what I am doing from here on forward.
That's what I have found to be ideal for me. My 2012 has over 28,000 miles on it. I think the light only came on 3 times. I don't pay attention to it, just shut it off when it comes on.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The OCI is just another tool. If you don't like it, don't want to use it, or can't understand it, then don't bother with it.
Do whatever you think works for you.

But there is no doubt that under certain conditions oil can be completely "used up" after 2,000 miles and under other conditions the same oil can still have plenty of "life" left after 10,000 miles. Mileage is a terrible indicator for oil life. You'd be much better off tracking engine hours. The DC OCI has a good rep with users who do used oil analyses. One weakness I've read about is it's ability to account for extremely dusty environments.

What would you think if someone said they change their brake pads every 50,000 miles, no sooner no later?
It's a similar idea; those pads might have plenty of material left or they might have been chewing up the rotors for quite a while already.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen an oil filter disintegrate at 10,000 miles. And the oil service was still an indicated 3k miles away. This, in a German car that costs 3x a Wrangler, that had precise algorithms for practically every maintenance task.

Never again.

Changing oil and filter routinely is the best insurance for a vehicle's engine. At only $25ish for filter+fluids, why take the chance?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
The OCI doesn't measure viscosity nor is it set to go on at a certain mileage. It is duty-cycle based. There's threads on that so I won't rehash the long list of probable parameters (the actual algorithm is a trade secret).

You can (should) reset the OCI when you change the oil even if it has not actually indicated the need for a change. If you don't change the oil yourself make sure whoever changes it for you resets the OCI as described above.

If the OCI has never come on for you it: may not work (defective), it may have been reset by the person who changed your oil (if applicable), you've mistakenly/unknowingly reset it (old school habit of pumping the gas before starting), or your driving habits are such that you just haven't hit the combination of parameters that signal for a change.

Either way, your warranty has a maximum change interval (months/miles) to follow.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the "duty-cycle". I was ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE the oil change intervals were not based solely on mileage otherwise the maintenance manual would state specific mileage/months for oil change intervals.

Thanks again
Mike
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Not True

Originally Posted by swaite3
Wow I hope your joking, change oil light comes on by a set number of miles. Whoever told you the oil visco thing was blowing smoke
This is not true at all. I don't know anything about a viscosity detector, however I do know that it takes into consideration miles, time, and driving conditions. This is evidenced by some who do mostly short trips or other stop and go conditions getting the change oil light long before someone who does long distance highway driving.

Oil Life Monitoring Systems - Edmunds.com

Some good reading on oil change monitors in general.

My 2013 JK is at 9500 miles with no oil change light. Being from the old school, this was making me nervous. I have taken two 3000 mile highway trips. The remainder of the miles were 75% highway and 25% city and off road. Given my driving conditions, the dealership told me that it is not unusual to go this long. The oil still looks and feels good.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Mine always comes on at 3000 miles and starts flashing at me at 2500.

Sent from my portable smart box.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over 10K does sound unnervingly high without using long life oils. If the light still isn't coming on after a few oil changes - That could be proof that it IS working. IE: It's smart enough to know the oil is still good even without resetting. Still.... a funny place to be in.

Some people just have different levels of trust in those things. I've had vehicles with oil indicator lights, and they seemed to work pretty consistently for me. Every 6K in the warmer months, 4k in winter. My wifes car runs up to 15K miles or one year. I've gone a little over a year in it, and it still had ~3-4K left on the old oil. I'm ok with it.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the avenger (pentastar) in for it's first change, waited till 9k, dealers service department said 10 is pushing it but the oil light goes off driving behavior and oil expected life, he said just shoot for a change every 6k miles.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I am at 10,600 miles and no change oil message yet. I have changed oil and filter 4X's already but have not reset the mileage minder so makes me wonder lol

Quick Reply: Change oil light?