Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil light?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite3

Wow I hope your joking, change oil light comes on by a set number of miles. Whoever told you the oil visco thing was blowing smoke
Its not based on milage alone that is just a part if it. My friend is a master tech with dodge. It is an algorithm based on engine temps, mileage, engine hours etc. So is mileage a factor yes but just a portion of it.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The OCI doesn't measure viscosity nor is it set to go on at a certain mileage. It is duty-cycle based. There's threads on that so I won't rehash the long list of probable parameters (the actual algorithm is a trade secret).

You can (should) reset the OCI when you change the oil even if it has not actually indicated the need for a change. If you don't change the oil yourself make sure whoever changes it for you resets the OCI as described above.

If the OCI has never come on for you it: may not work (defective), it may have been reset by the person who changed your oil (if applicable), you've mistakenly/unknowingly reset it (old school habit of pumping the gas before starting), or your driving habits are such that you just haven't hit the combination of parameters that signal for a change.

Either way, your warranty has a maximum change interval (months/miles) to follow.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite3

Wow I hope your joking, change oil light comes on by a set number of miles. Whoever told you the oil visco thing was blowing smoke
No. It's not a set number of miles. Mine came on at 5400 miles. Then 14,120 miles and now I have 24,090 miles and still have not had the change oil message.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Mine just came on yesterday with 3800 on my '12 JK. I was just planning to book a change too. Oh I also do mostly city driving so it would make sense that it came on earlier for me.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
You can (should) reset the OCI when you change the oil even if it has not actually indicated the need for a change. If you don't change the oil yourself make sure whoever changes it for you resets the OCI as described above.

If the OCI has never come on for you it: may not work (defective), it may have been reset by the person who changed your oil (if applicable), you've mistakenly/unknowingly reset it (old school habit of pumping the gas before starting), or your driving habits are such that you just haven't hit the combination of parameters that signal for a change.

Either way, your warranty has a maximum change interval (months/miles) to follow.

Why should you reset it if it has never come on? I don't pump the gas as I have not driven a carbed vehicle since 1985 so I know that is not the issue. Seems like I would not be able to tell if it is defective if I reset it after changing oil.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
Why should you reset it if it has never come on? I don't pump the gas as I have not driven a carbed vehicle since 1985 so I know that is not the issue. Seems like I would not be able to tell if it is defective if I reset it after changing oil.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was addressing two different issues.

In your specific case, if you want to see if the OCI ever comes on then don't reset it (and make sure no one who services it resets it).
Since you warranty requires 8,000 mile (?) maximum intervals you should change it for that reason alone.

But in a general situation where there is no questioning if the OCI is working, the OCI should be reset whenever the oil is changed. That way, even if the OCI hadn't been triggered, the algorithm is reset and will start tracking the duty cycle of that fresh batch of oil.

As far as finding out if your OCI works at all, maybe keep waiting, if you get to 15,000 and you're sure no one has done the resetting then maybe the dealer should look at it with the STARscanner. Maybe they will flash or reflash the TIPM.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrigley
The CHANGE OIL light comes on when it senses a decrease in oil viscosity. I would think if you changed your oil 3X already, the light probably won't come on before you reach 10,000 miles.

I have 7000 miles on my 2013 JK and still no light. I do about 60% of my driving on the highway so maybe I'll reach 10,000 before the light comes on. I get 4 free oil changes from the dealership, so if it hasn't come on around 9000 miles or so I'll contact the dealership.

Mike
Again read with understanding

The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon
your personal driving style.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was addressing two different issues.

In your specific case, if you want to see if the OCI ever comes on then don't reset it (and make sure no one who services it resets it).
Since you warranty requires 8,000 mile (?) maximum intervals you should change it for that reason alone.

But in a general situation where there is no questioning if the OCI is working, the OCI should be reset whenever the oil is changed. That way, even if the OCI hadn't been triggered, the algorithm is reset and will start tracking the duty cycle of that fresh batch of oil.

As far as finding out if your OCI works at all, maybe keep waiting, if you get to 15,000 and you're sure no one has done the resetting then maybe the dealer should look at it with the STARscanner. Maybe they will flash or reflash the TIPM.

Good luck, keep us posted.
I have been the only one who has changed oil in it and the only one who drives it so unless someone is sneaking into my garage at night and resetting it. My owners manual says 10,000 max which is crazy. Like I said I have changed it 3X's already. If it goes past 10000 miles I will take it in and ask about it. It has not been back to the dealer since the day I drove it off the lot.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm upset with Chrysler for putting this crap on the jeep. I actually like having an oil change indicator on my vehicles. I have multiple vehicles that I maintain all my self so its nice to have that reminder instead of having to remember when to do them.

This "algorithm" crap they put on is worthless to me. I didn't reset mine until after the 3rd oil change. That was at just over 12,000 miles. I'm never going to go 12,000 miles between oil changes. Not going to happen. So for me it's a useless system.

I understand the reasoning for a system like this but it doesn't work for me and don't like it at all. Hopefully a programmer will come out with the ability to change this to a mileage based system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Redman333
I'm upset with Chrysler for putting this crap on the jeep. I actually like having an oil change indicator on my vehicles. I have multiple vehicles that I maintain all my self so its nice to have that reminder instead of having to remember when to do them.

This "algorithm" crap they put on is worthless to me. I didn't reset mine until after the 3rd oil change. That was at just over 12,000 miles. I'm never going to go 12,000 miles between oil changes. Not going to happen. So for me it's a useless system.

I understand the reasoning for a system like this but it doesn't work for me and don't like it at all. Hopefully a programmer will come out with the ability to change this to a mileage based system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

simple way is just change it at 5000 mile intervals easy to remember 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000 etc lol. That is what I am doing from here on forward.

Quick Reply: Change oil light?