Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Change oil" indicator?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Change oil" indicator?

My 08 X has roughly 2000 miles on it since the last oil change and now every time I start her up, the "change oil" indicator comes on. It will read "change oil", then will go away and no other warnings are present. I checked my oil and is looks pretty clean and is full. Maybe a faulty sensor?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, nothing faulty. Its set at retarded intervals, look up resetting the oil change light. Assuming you bought it with a fresh oil change and filter it sound be good for another 3500 miles. I believe that you turn the key to the on position, but don't start, then depress the pedal 3-6 times, then turn the key off, should hear a chime. If not repeat, more times depressed may be necessary to achieve this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

My light has a mind of it's own just lights up whenever it feels like it I guess I had the oil changed three times already and it only has 6K miles on it I just wanted to be sure something wasn't wrong with the oil but it was always still new so I just reset and keep drivin
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is also a TSB on this - take to the dealer for a reflash to "fix" the short intervals - check the TSB's in the sticky.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would simply go ahead and just reset it.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have the 6-speed. This is a common thing to happen to 6-speeds just because of the way that the ECU decides when you "should" change the oil. It uses the duty cycle that it senses via the average throttle position. In an auto this is a good way to figure out how often to change the oil because with the auto, generally the higher the average throttle position, the higher the engine RPMs (thus harsher conditions on the oil).

But with the 6-speed I will often just leave it in high gear going up a hill and just put the pedal to the floor. The RPMs on my JK almost never go over 2500 but yet my "change oil" indicator comes on at ~2500 miles like clockwork because with all of the hills I drive up in high gear, my average throttle position is fairly high even though engine RPMs probably only average ~1200 - 1300 RPMs.

So in all don't worry about it with the 6-speed. As long as you aren't driving it like you stole it and averaging 3500 RPMs, just change the oil at whatever normal intervals you usually do and ignore the "change oil" indicator.

BUT do keep track of your oil level more than a standard car as the 3.8s have a history of eating oil when running on the 5W-20. Mine hasn't started using oil yet (knock on wood) but I would still recommend to check your level every 1000 miles or so.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

I have a 6spd and usually shift at about 3500rpm. Should I be shifting at a lower rpm? I thought the 3.8 likes to rev.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
I have a 6spd and usually shift at about 3500rpm. Should I be shifting at a lower rpm? I thought the 3.8 likes to rev.
Shifting is a personal style thing, no real right or wrong way. Shifting at a lower RPM will give you less acceleration but it will help give you a few extra mpg.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

I shift in to 2nd and 3rd at 3,000rpm and there rest at 2,000rpm if you don't rev the 3.8 in the low gears you don't go anywhere.

Quick Reply: "Change oil" indicator?