Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change oil filter without draining oil?

Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambled
I've switched to motorcraft and the start up knock happened less frequently. A couple months ago I noticed that whenever I left the a/c or defrosters on the knock would still happen on startup, but only when the JEEP has sat for an extended time. Since I started turning off the a/c the start up knock has stopped completely.
The AC "knock" which is more like a squeal is its own issue. I doubt that the oil filter and the AC being on or off have any connection other that they can both cause noises.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually drain my oil 10K km but I changed only my oil filter at about 5000km and replaced with a new one several times on my CTD b/c I am running full synthetic Mobil 1. I just have to top up the oil after I replaced the filter with the new one.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fords....Motorcraft FL-400s worked best for me.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Fords....Motorcraft FL-400s worked best for me.

I might try this one next and see if i is completely knock free. Overall the Mopar is pretty good, but if the Jeep sits few days I can detect a hint of knock.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

never had the need to change the filter without changing the oil on either of my Jeeps, so I have never even thought of doing this.

Quick Reply: Change oil filter without draining oil?