Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change I change diff fluids?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierrasam
I have no way to jack the rear weels up and spin them safely....Would the dealer where the previous owner purchased it be able to tell me ? I do have the vin of course..
Your stock jack and one jack stand will work. Jack one side of axle, put on stand, move to other and jack it up. You dont crank the engine or anything, just put it in neutral and and jack it up. Hell , u can do it in a parking lot, just get the tire an inch off the ground. Dealer with vin would know what it came with provided the original owner didnt change anything.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gaskets

Originally Posted by Sierrasam
Man I could not get the fill plug to budge and don't want to remove the Diff cover until I am sure I can get oil back in..Also..BIG "notice" there is a rubber gaket material popping out from the top of the cover. I don't do any water cross wheeling and have only winter driving to worry about so was just going to use a tube of Diff cover seal. Will this be enough or should I get a ruber gasket. The Napa guy told me there is no dealer gasket to just seal it with my tube?
I like to use a gasket on the diff. covers. You can get them from NAPA, made by "fel-pro" Front model 30 part# RDS55019, rear model 44 # RDS6629 and rear model 35 # RDS13089. I still like to use a little RTV on the gasket' just a little on each side of the gasket. These gaskets have been used for years on all mfg. of trucks, suv's and jeeps.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Limited slip

Good idea...one stand in my future in any case. I looked at the allpar site and it states all X models do have limited slip..now please tell me the Dana 30, 35 or 44 axels are stamped on the diff covers.. How can I tell that..measure??
This is the problem with buying used...I also have a tow pack on the rear so trying to figure out if the upgraded axels come with...
Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Diffs

Just a heads up for others not in the know on limited slip...Valvoline gear oil for the Jk 80w-90 says right on the back of the bottle in my hand that it is ok for all Hyphoid Limited slip Diffs...looks like I am ok no matter what. Now to find out what size diffs I have.

Quick Reply: Change I change diff fluids?