Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Change I change diff fluids?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redjkofdeath
Done. Although I didn't use as much oil as they did. The front was pretty clean but man, the back was certainly overdue. ...
The rear factory fluid always looks dirtier because of the additive for the limited slip.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Yea mine told me $900. for tranny, and both diffs..I damn near laughed in his face.
The tranny pan can be dropped and a new filter for $145.00 ata private place that works on 4x4s and I will def do my own difffs. I am not a mechanic but can turn screws.
Originally Posted by b5rider
My dealer wanted $485 dollars for this servive. I told them to bite me!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierrasam
Yea mine told me $900. for tranny, and both diffs..I damn near laughed in his face.
The tranny pan can be dropped and a new filter for $145.00 ata private place that works on 4x4s and I will def do my own difffs. I am not a mechanic but can turn screws.
U don't need to drop the pan for the tranny and I'm pretty sure there isn't a filter in there. But that is for the manual. I don't know about the auto.

The only pain about the tranny is finding/making a tool to fit on the drain plug. I ended up using a nut and wrench.

Last edited by drumnatural; 12-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Man I could not get the fill plug to budge and don't want to remove the Diff cover until I am sure I can get oil back in..Also..BIG "notice" there is a rubber gaket material popping out from the top of the cover. I don't do any water cross wheeling and have only winter driving to worry about so was just going to use a tube of Diff cover seal. Will this be enough or should I get a ruber gasket. The Napa guy told me there is no dealer gasket to just seal it with my tube?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

WHat additive? Is that covered in using the 80weight gear oil when I pop the diff cover?
Originally Posted by A/C Guy
The rear factory fluid always looks dirtier because of the additive for the limited slip.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHat additive? Is that covered in using the 80weight gear oil when I pop the diff cover?
Rear gear oil factory or not always looks dirtier cause its underload all the time and heats up twice as much as the front. If you don't have a limited slip, you don't need the additive.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm, I have an X JK don't know.
Originally Posted by mkjeep
Rear gear oil factory or not always looks dirtier cause its underload all the time and heats up twice as much as the front. If you don't have a limited slip, you don't need the additive.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I have an X JK don't know.
Put your tranny in neutral, jack up the whole rearend off the ground, spin one tire by hand, if the other spins in the same direction=limited slip, if the other tire spins the opposite direction= open diff.
This is the easiest way to tell. Limited slip rears are add-on's from the factory for X's and Saharas. Not all have them. But you got yours used, so it's possible that a LS could have been added or not by previous owner.

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-12-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Man I could not get the fill plug to budge and don't want to remove the Diff cover until I am sure I can get oil back in..Also..BIG "notice" there is a rubber gaket material popping out from the top of the cover. I don't do any water cross wheeling and have only winter driving to worry about so was just going to use a tube of Diff cover seal. Will this be enough or should I get a ruber gasket. The Napa guy told me there is no dealer gasket to just seal it with my tube?
There is no gasket in 2007 and up. what dealers are using are sealant. Here is a example of is being used. autobarn.net/pre81180.htm[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 12-12-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 12-18-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Limited slip on my X??

I have no way to jack the rear weels up and spin them safely....Would the dealer where the previous owner purchased it be able to tell me ? I do have the vin of course..

Quick Reply: Change I change diff fluids?