Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Caution with first change of differential oil

Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local stealership charges $200 per axle.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Widewing
18k for heavy off road use or frequent towing. Normal use, 24k is acceptable. My off road has mostly consisted of driving on the beaches. In short, normal use. You can change it at shorter intervals if it makes you feel more secure.

My dealer wanted to change the axle oil at 12k.

"What does the factory manual recommend?", I asked.

"12,000 miles.", was the reply.

I looked him in the eye... "Really? My manual states that 18,000 is the interval, and then only for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing. Feel free to check the fluid levels, but we won't be changing it for another year."

Gotta admire their nerve...

My regards,

Widewing
A dealer I went to tried to tell me I needed a power steering flush, coolant flush, fuel system service, transmission steering flush and SPARK PLUGS - this was their "scheduled" 30k mile service... "I better have this done or my warranty will be voided"...

So I got my manual and recited pages 431-433 to him. Dealerships...
Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamsterOwl
A dealer I went to tried to tell me I needed a power steering flush, coolant flush, fuel system service, transmission steering flush and SPARK PLUGS - this was their "scheduled" 30k mile service... "I better have this done or my warranty will be voided"

I hope all that comes with a "reach around"!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to take the covers off. And the dealerships are crooks. Especially Chrysler...

Quick Reply: Caution with first change of differential oil