Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Caution with first change of differential oil

Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question: do you really need a pump to do the diff change? I have the synth oil with spouts on the bottles...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

a funnel or some way to keep the bottle pointing down works if you don't knock a bunch of dirt in it.... I don't think you need a pump...I've never used one to change out diff fluids... I have use flexable funnels and other creative measures to get the stuff in!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
a funnel or some way to keep the bottle pointing down works if you don't knock a bunch of dirt in it.... I don't think you need a pump...I've never used one to change out diff fluids... I have use flexable funnels and other creative measures to get the stuff in!
..also do you really need a torque wrench? I have the oil waiting i just havn't done my change yet... I'm at 34k but I drive it really light, no serious off-roading.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Diff oil changes have to be a big money maker for the dealership because every time I've been in there the service writer has tried to sell a change to every customer in line.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

question: do you really need a pump to do the diff change? I have the synth oil with spouts on the bottles...
You don't need a pump to change the diff oil. The heavy oils tend to be in tall bottles that are fairly easy to place in the fill hole. However, I'm not sure if that applies to the D44s in the front as I have the D30...

..also do you really need a torque wrench? I have the oil waiting i just havn't done my change yet... I'm at 34k but I drive it really light, no serious off-roading.
If you're going to take the cover off, you MUST have a torque wrench. If you're just using the plugs, you can probably get by with estimating. I believe they're at 25 foot*lbs, so similar to the engine oil drain plug in torque.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colorado_rubie
the dealers here charge 70 per axle for the change. They said 20 of it was for the grinding disk they use to dress the machined surfaces to insure a correct seal.
Really? Grinding??? Since when does a surface that will get a gob of RTV need anything more than a razor-blade scrape to get the old gasket material off?

Can you say "Rip Off" boys and girls?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burbingus
They called me and told me it was time to change the diff fluid. Apperently, they smoke large amounts of crack there and wanted $400 just to change the fluid without removing the covers.
And I thought my dealership was bad.. they wanted ~$300+ for both front/rear (diff covers off). My guess is that they are charging ~$100/hr (about the typical going labor rate in the NYC area I think) for the labor to scrape off the old RTV... either that or they're charging $60/bottle for gear oil :P

I decided it was a good time to buy some new covers + lubelockers and learn to do it myself....
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The non-D44 diffs have a drain plug, too?
both my d30 front diff and d44 rear have drain and fill plugs
Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

I change My diff's every 2nd oil change so about every 12,000 miles....and again if I do any river crossings or playing in the deep sand.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Splash
You're not supposed to drink it.

Quick Reply: Caution with first change of differential oil