Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Catalytic convertor ?

Old 11-06-2021, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dRemodeling
Hi, I just dropped my car to the mechanic as I had the check engine light on. they told me is the catalytic convertor and the parts are $3,000 and the labor $600. I googled catalytic convertor JK and I found this part with price between $260 to $$500.

What is correct price? can someone send me a link?
A local shop did both plus the Y joint for me for about $1700 including labor. I've driven about 4k miles since then with no issues. I think you can do better. They are probably quoting you Mopar cat converters, which are dog excriment, IMHO, because I have gone through 3 of them. I've never had any other make of vehicle with a cat failure. Only Jeeps. Lol. I'm not sure the brand my local shop used, but I would not be surprised if it were Magnaflow. Whatever they are, they said they've had good service from them and haven't had to replace one yet.

Last edited by dmwil; 11-06-2021 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
OK I got some info from a local shop here in CA. Looking to confirm with some forum members here please. What would you do in my situation? My JK has 215k on it. I was thinking about finally selling it for a new, updated model looking for some comfort since Im getting close to 40 years old now lol! Heated seats sound like dream.

The local shop says you cannot just put in a different CAT from out of state since it would fail inspection. The "numbers have to match" from the original CAT. But I could cut out Bank 2 (which is what is throwing the code) and weld in a new bank 2, that way the numbers match, and it would pass inspection.

It's either this or buying a new Mopar unit for $1800. The vehicle will definitely be sold within a year or two, so I would hate to spend $1800 on a brand-new CAT, although it was covered under lifetime warranty and everything has been either fixed by me or the dealer to where the jeep is mechanically excellent except for this issue.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=5808&jsn=8

Appreciate the help. I'm not even sure what I could sell it for, but it KBB around 8-10k Private Party and the used market is pretty strong. There is some surface rust and sun fade and dents and scratches but a lot of upgrades also.

What would you do? I at least have 6 more months with it at minimum, and it needs to pass SMOG inspection by February.
My Jeep dealer said the cats are covered under the emissions warranty, which expired a long time ago for me, so when they replaced the first one at about 80 or 90k miles, they said the next time it was on my dime. And I've got a great dealer that goes the extra mile. This is the first I've heard that these are covered under the powertrain warranty. I don't think emissions or exhaust components are covered. Unless you got a more comprehensive lifetime warranty. Mine was the no-deductible powertrain warranty.

If I were in your shoes and was planning to sell the Jeep, I'd probably go ahead and sell it now, unless you think you can recoup the value of the new cats.

We don't have emissions inspections here, so I was able to go aftermarket. But I'd bet they do just fine. The engine performs like new with them. One thing I noticed right away was more power with the new cats, so I think the computer and engine likes them real well.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Powertrain warranties only cover if it is lubed by oil and is not a wear item. Emissions are 80,000 miles by Federal law.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

For here in so cal is the full Mopar unit or nothing. Must be installed by a shop and not on your own. More reasons to hate this dumb state.

I'm gonna try to weld in a replacement for about $600 total. I'll keep this post updated.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

EHarris - I feel for you but in 1976 girlfriend and I did the coast all the way to San Diego. The LA basin smelled like a car running with the choke on. Fast forward to 2002 we went to LV then on a bus to San Diego to catch a cruise. We came over the mountains and the LA basin smelled like a car running with the choke on. No change!
Old 11-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
EHarris - I feel for you but in 1976 girlfriend and I did the coast all the way to San Diego. The LA basin smelled like a car running with the choke on. Fast forward to 2002 we went to LV then on a bus to San Diego to catch a cruise. We came over the mountains and the LA basin smelled like a car running with the choke on. No change!
I live par-time in Baja and drive through TJ at least 3-4 times a month. Gotta say LA is looking exactly like it now. Have not been up to LA and city for a bit but had a Halloween music festival in Santa Barbara, and it was crazy driving though. The sights and smells were exactly the same. The tents on the cliffsides of the highway were disturbing.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:39 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Just wondering if a junk yard would have the cats in Cali.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RonandJanet
Just wondering if a junk yard would have the cats in Cali.
Another reason to hate CA, it's illegal for a junkyard to sell me a used CAT. Kinda explains why 3 CATS were stolen in the parking lot I work at this past month. I'm hoping maybe they will steal mine and I can get a new one through insurance. lol
Old 11-10-2021, 06:45 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I wonder what the thinking is with that regulation. It doesn't slow down the theft since that is for the metal. If the vehicle is wrecked what is wrong with using the good parts!?
Old 11-10-2021, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RonandJanet
I wonder what the thinking is with that regulation. It doesn't slow down the theft since that is for the metal. If the vehicle is wrecked what is wrong with using the good parts!?
It's to my understanding that a CAT should last the lifetime of the vehicle, which does not happen with the JK's. An aftermarket CAT from a different company in the eyes of CA will cause emission issues much sooner *they are not built to last as long) than a brand-new factory one and will pollute sooner since SMOG is every 2 years. The same holds true for buying a used one from a junkyard, it could go bad and pollute for 2 years before it is caught by inspection. I have heard that if it's the same year and make and model JK that the smog shop can't tell you got it at a junkyard and there is that loophole in the system, but that would be the same cost of welding in a new bank 2 or more with no way of checking that the CAT is even good or will last.

Quick Reply: Catalytic convertor ?