Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Catalytic convertor ?

Old 10-27-2021, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic convertor ?

Hi, I just dropped my car to the mechanic as I had the check engine light on. they told me is the catalytic convertor and the parts are $3,000 and the labor $600. I googled catalytic convertor JK and I found this part with price between $260 to $$500.

What is correct price? can someone send me a link?
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Holy cow, I just replaced mine a couple years ago and it was $850 for the Mopar part from their parts distribution center. Throw in the O2 sensors and some minor hardware, and I can see it being a $3,000 parts quote now based on the price Q-Tec and others are quoting. Time for the aftermarket (as long as you aren't in a state that will rigidly test your emissions).
Old 10-27-2021, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, can you send me some links to aftermarket parts, and I will buy my own and find a mechanic that can replace them?
Old 10-27-2021, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Holy cow, I just replaced mine a couple years ago and it was $850 for the Mopar part from their parts distribution center. Throw in the O2 sensors and some minor hardware, and I can see it being a $3,000 parts quote now based on the price Q-Tec and others are quoting. Time for the aftermarket (as long as you aren't in a state that will rigidly test your emissions).
Yup I never should have waited and just did the CAT on mine 2 years ago. It was only a $1500 repair then. Now its double the price if not more at $3k. I simply cannot sink that into my JK with 215k miles on it. I am looking at getting a non-Mopar CAT installed or at least purchased in another state and then hopefully having it pass SMOG in CA somehow. I have until February to figure this out or else its the death of my vehicle. I posted about this a while back asking about getting the CAT aftermarket out of state. I just wonder if it will pass smog?

I was told any vehicle would pass smog if you were able to time it with the check engine light off with all banks up and running. For example, it seems as if the computer doesn't detect the bad CAT until 150 miles when it does a self check, but you need at least 50 miles to get a smog on the vehicle. Is it a waste to try and time this?

If you go to sell the vehicle even if I do pass smog in february, the remote start will not work and the person buying has to be alright with a constant check engine light on. Not great for resale value.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dRemodeling
Thanks, can you send me some links to aftermarket parts, and I will buy my own and find a mechanic that can replace them?
Since shipping is massive on this, I would recommend trying to buy locally. If you do go with the shipping, Rock Auto would have the best pricing.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

Check this site: https://www.walkerexhaust.com/find-my-part.html..
Old 10-28-2021, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

Magnaflow have a good selection of cats. I use them on my V8 conversion and they do not ever trigger a CEL for this 2016 engine.
The following users liked this post:
dmwil (11-06-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Can someone explain this. For example, I go to the Walker link above and as soon as I select CA there are no Jeep Products available. If I select any other state, the product below on the link shows up:

"FITS FED. & CALIF. EMISSION MODELS, NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA AND OTHER CARB-COMPLIANT STATES. LEGAL IN NEW YORK AND MAINE ON EPA FEDERAL EMISSION EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY. CONSULT THE AFTERMARKET CONVERTER REGULATIONS IN YOUR STATE FOR DETAILS., EXHAUST GASKET IS RECOMMENDED, ULTRA DIRECT FIT TYPE"

Can I buy this and have it shipped to a family member in AZ and then install myself? Will it pass emissions in CA or would I need to have someone on the inside here in CA that would look past the fact its not for CA? I want to get this problem solved ASAP since I am due for smog in February.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

OK I got some info from a local shop here in CA. Looking to confirm with some forum members here please. What would you do in my situation? My JK has 215k on it. I was thinking about finally selling it for a new, updated model looking for some comfort since Im getting close to 40 years old now lol! Heated seats sound like dream.

The local shop says you cannot just put in a different CAT from out of state since it would fail inspection. The "numbers have to match" from the original CAT. But I could cut out Bank 2 (which is what is throwing the code) and weld in a new bank 2, that way the numbers match, and it would pass inspection.

It's either this or buying a new Mopar unit for $1800. The vehicle will definitely be sold within a year or two, so I would hate to spend $1800 on a brand-new CAT, although it was covered under lifetime warranty and everything has been either fixed by me or the dealer to where the jeep is mechanically excellent except for this issue.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=5808&jsn=8

Appreciate the help. I'm not even sure what I could sell it for, but it KBB around 8-10k Private Party and the used market is pretty strong. There is some surface rust and sun fade and dents and scratches but a lot of upgrades also.

What would you do? I at least have 6 more months with it at minimum, and it needs to pass SMOG inspection by February.

Last edited by EHarris; 11-04-2021 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 11-04-2021, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

Find a mud bog hole, go wheeling in it just prior to going for test. You can run the 47 state one then.

Just kidding - I would choose the least $$ option which is weld in a new bank 2 as you say.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 11-04-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Catalytic convertor ?