Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Carwashing the jeep

Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
Ah so how do you get the mud off properly without destroying the clearcoat/paint if mud is caked on? I just been using a spray pattern so it was similar to rain and 30 minutes later most of the mud floated off.
If at the DIY wash - just use the high pressure rinse or soap to rinse it down well until all the caked on mud is off. They typically use warm water so it should come off pretty quickly.

At home - invest in one of the lower pressure (1500-1700 psi) pressure washers. The electric ones are great for small jobs around the house and have lower pressure than the gasoline power ones. They cost less than $150.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Also, if you do want to use the brush, use the high powered spray to rinse/wash the brush before it makes contact with the Jeep. It may take a little bit of extra time, but not near as long as buffing scratches!!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I've seen a lot of threads about weird issues at car washes and the jeep. What's wrong with just washing it by hand? I actually enjoy it
Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I knew about changing the fluids and rotating the tires but you mean I gotta wash mine too? I thought my color was called Mopar Poo Brown
In all honesty, I only hand wash mine or if mud is bad pressure wash it. The first time I took it on a trail I got tons of "custom pinstripes" and thought about buffing it out. The more I thought about it, I decided why bother I'll have to buff after every wheeling trip. As for washing, like others said spray off grit before any brush or rag touches the paint.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by matt852
Ah so how do you get the mud off properly without destroying the clearcoat/paint if mud is caked on? I just been using a spray pattern so it was similar to rain and 30 minutes later most of the mud floated off.

Engine de-greeser. I've got a stone white jeep, and the mud after it's caked on, seems to stain the paint. Blast the mud a few times with warm water, then after the majority of the mud is off, use the selection for the engine cleaner, I walk around the jeep twice spraying the de-greaser, Go back to the rinse option and rinse of the de-greaser.

I never use the brush, but I've got the trail stripes all over my jeep anyway. I just don't like the mud on my jeep when I get off the trail.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwtPunk08JK
Engine de-greeser.

To each his own. . . a little cleaner was should remove stains and is probably less harmful to the clear coat/paint.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never use an automatic wash...plus mine would leak too much anyways !

I just use the hose and spray and spray and spray until alll of it is off. Then an old fashion hand wash.

A good at home detail job helps too. I buff it out with a random orbital buffer and compound, then use a high quality Carnauba wax. I usually buff in the spring, cleaner wax, then Carnauba wax once a month by hand. Meguiar's works well.....hint

All this keeps almost all the scratches out and keeps the finish nice. The monthly wax job now only takes me about 45 min to do.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

If you wanna get rid of the scratches take it to a detailer. Detailers can work wonders with a PC 7424XP buffer or a Flex VRG, a bottle of poor boys SSR and some Klasse all in one, Clear Kote, Meguiars etc. You can also buy all of this stuff and learn how to do it yourself, way cheaper then going to a detailer in the long run.

Last edited by Adam3612; 11-10-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info!

I think the brush didn't scratch my car, but the sandy mud did. It's real bad. I should have washed the crap off right after wheeling instead of waiting three days too.

I guess I will have it buffed out, and be smarter about it.

I am OK with the scratch and ding here and there, but this is all over my jeep

Hopefully they don't charge too much, cause I could of spent it on a mod instead!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv taken mine to a DIY wash to get the excess junk off it between regular washs but dont use the brush because of the reasons mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: Carwashing the jeep