Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Carwashing the jeep

Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carwashing the jeep

I washed my jeep for the first time at a coin operated car wash.

I used the bristle brush to scrub the mud off, and now I have scratches all over the vehicle.

Real bummer! I have washed this car at home many times and waxed it not too long ago. I guess Jeep paint doesn't hold up to brushing.

Any advice on removing scratches is appreciated, otherwise, I guess I'll have it detailed
Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may not be the brushing in general but what the previous washer may have left in the brush (grit etc).

I never use the brush at the car wash.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phantomandy
It may not be the brushing in general but what the previous washer may have left in the brush (grit etc).

I never use the brush at the car wash.
x2 ... I go through the automatic wash all the time and have been going to a hand car wash as of late, never had any problem with scratching on the outside of the Jeep.

The interior, however, is a different story!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should ALWAYS spray off the mud first! Then you can brush it with a little more assurance of not destroying the paint. It's not the Jeep paint - I had a similar thing happen with a pick-up truck ~10 yrs. ago.

Take it to a detailer. They'll make it look new again, if you want that.

Jeff

Originally Posted by horrocks007
I washed my jeep for the first time at a coin operated car wash.

I used the bristle brush to scrub the mud off, and now I have scratches all over the vehicle.

Real bummer! I have washed this car at home many times and waxed it not too long ago. I guess Jeep paint doesn't hold up to brushing.

Any advice on removing scratches is appreciated, otherwise, I guess I'll have it detailed
Old 11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

attack it Karate Kid style...........wax on.....wax off.....wax on...wax off
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately your post has it right there in it. Used the brush to scrub mud off. It acts like sandpaper with a lot of sand and mud still on the car. If you want you could pick of some fine rubbing compound and buff them out. Just be careful. You can leave swirl marks. Make sure car is real clean and dry before detailing. I have a foam pad that I use on a buffer. You can get swirl remover also. Check with a good autoparts store. Not adap or autozone. Some place that deals more with paint. They would have everything you need
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Ah so how do you get the mud off properly without destroying the clearcoat/paint if mud is caked on? I just been using a spray pattern so it was similar to rain and 30 minutes later most of the mud floated off.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rule#1 never use the brush at the DIY carwash!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use an automotive 'polish' by Meguiars or other. Follow that with a carnuba wax. Rubbing compound is overkill for the minor scratches you put in the paint.

As for the quarter car wash brush: Right before I'm ready to use it (after I have sprayed ALL the mud off with the 'high pressure soap' setting; spray the brush with the gun for a few seconds to remove any crud that the guy before you left on it. Those brushes are actually high quality and work well when not dirty. I use it on my black Jeep often and have almost no scratches. However, regular polishing and waxing helps may contribute to that too.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

I always soak the jeep down as im going around with the pressure wand. Not really worrying about getting every piece of mud. By the time i make it back around again, the mud is soaked and soft. The second pass, i focus on blasting the mud off. The third pass is for getting detailed and thorough with cleaning. Then i rinse and im done.

Quick Reply: Carwashing the jeep