Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Carpet clogging up my garage ...

Old 01-09-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet clogging up my garage ...

Rain was quite a rarity this summer in Dallas, but one night I had a touch of food poisoning, fell asleep and left my jeep out in the open. That apparently was all it took for mother nature to dump a bunch of rain on the area. (you're welcome farmers/ranchers!)

So the next morning I pulled carpet and plugs and let things dry out. The only damage was non-functional horn and some steering column controls. The nav/sat system showed fog initially but dried up as well luckily.

So I have been running since then with no carpet and I always had the plan of re-installing. The most common complaint from people is added noise it seems and I never noticed any difference. I'm thinking about just giving the carpet away and getting it out of the garage.

Would anyone try to talk me out of this? Is there something I am missing? I don't notice in change in floorboard heat or noise. The only downside is that I kick a floor plug out of place every now and then.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 AM
jdk
JK Freak

I see no down side, put in some of the aftermarket rubber mats and run with it.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

From a fellow Texan, raptor line it and trash the carpet. You'll never look back. I also have the QTec mats, which probably help with the heat a little. Hey man, it's a Jeep, not a Lexus. It's supposed to be a little hot, usually very muddy, always producing some kind of strange rattle or noise, and VERY uncomfortable. And we love it!!! Right??? Good luck with your decision, just my $.02
Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Totally agree with mv. Pulled the carpets out of my 2012 two days after I got it and never looked back. Easier to spray the mud out of the inside than vacuum it. And the noise difference is negligible. Sure it gets a little hotter, but its a jeep.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good ol Texas never seems to have a decent summer. 110 and humidity can kill! ha.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

I guess you don't plan on selling it, otherwise I'd keep the carpet for resale Throw it in some big garbage bags and to the attic they go!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Well I'm in process of building it as finances allow, so I'm thinking the carpets will be the least of the considerations if I sell it lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you ever plan to sell it, the carpet will cover up the floor/scratches you've made by removing it.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

I'd go with the bedliner and toss the carpet. once its bedlined the carpet is kind of a waist anyway. just my
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bedline it...then fill it full of mud!!!

Mud is a great heat shield and sound deadner!!!!!

Quick Reply: Carpet clogging up my garage ...