Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can't get wax off of the plastic trim...

Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank1217
I know exactly what you are going thru. i did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. used tooth brushes and all kinds of cleaners.
i came across a bottle of Leather conditioner from Armor All, and to my surprise it covered the wax (didnt remove it) but covered the wax. but i have also noticed that after every wash the wax gets lighter and lighter. So i am dealing with.
when it's all gone i will be a little more careful the next time i wax, PROBABLY USE painters tape at the edges.....
lol
Don't even use regular wax ever again man.

I picked up turtle wax ICE and its the best product ever made for us JK'rs with our half plastic trim exterior. It is actually recommended to use to shine the plastic as well!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say to try a hair dryer but with all those chemicals you've used its liable to ignite on you... I've read many articles saying that body shops use this to restore oxidized bumpers and such. I would think that it would heat up the wax allowing you to remove it (wiping with a terry cloth?) I would be very careful not to heat up the paint too much. I will get a bottle of Turtle wax ice since you mentioned it though..
Old 09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Wire brush. Done. Stop putting chemicals on it.

Last edited by ChopN; 09-26-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmwil
In the future, use Turtle Wax Ice. It works well, is really easy to apply and you can put it on the plastic and rubber trim. No residue! I use it on all my vehicles.
I used that stuff because of this problem and it works really well.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Carsystems refinish restorer will take care of it.

Last edited by Red Wings; 09-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Ok is it possible that this wax permanently stained the plastic?

I am not so worried about the fenders as I am my smittybilt steps. I cannot get it to budge off the powercoating whatsoever.

Today i SOAKED the fenders and steps in non-diluted simple green for 10 minutes. Then scrubbed it, then washed it off with decent pressure.

My pressure washer at the firehouse wouldn't start so I had to make due with this ghetto hose attachment for high pressure garden hose.

The list of methods so far is

Simple Green
WD-40
Purple Power Degreaser
Gasoline
Peanut Butter
Mothers Back to Black
Meguiars #39 heavy duty cleaner
Dawn dish soap

I am at a loss for what to do here... I am going to call them again tomorrow this is outrageous they don't know what to do for me...

My friend who works at a body shop told me to get "Super 9" degreaser thats what they use in the shop, but honestly I don't wanna blow another $10 to have it not work again...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Trauma
Ok well my can of WD-40 apparently has 0.25 ounces left in it so I gave it a test run on the antenna trim and my rock sliders/steps.

The eraser works... but I have no desire to spend 8 hours going over the entire car with an eraser if I can just WD-40 it or gasoline it off.

Little side note, is WD-40 totally safe for use on the paint? Like will prolonged exposure damage anything? Their website seemed pretty confident it was ok to use on paint.
Neither will ruin your paint or clear coat but both will remove any wax you had on the paint so be sure to wax the wash-off area after you're... With a wax that doesn't stain!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

OKAY . . .

So . . . . what IS the bottom line here?

Is there any brand of wax that you Jeep guys can recommend which will NOT affect all the black plastic trim . . . i.e will NOT stain? . . .

I use Meguiar's products a lot . . . the car wash soap and the wheel cleaner in particular, but I am afarid to try to wax my beloved Jeep with all her black plastic trim pieces . . .

As a newbie, I might also add that I have never had a vehicle with so much black plastic trim pieces all over as I do now . . . . I love my Jeep!

My 350-Z was a lot easier to wash and wax up . . . no black plastic . . . BUT . . . I am loving my Jeep much, much more!

Thanks for any advice!

All best, Joe

Last edited by Jersey Joe; 04-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Joe
OKAY . . .

So . . . . what IS the bottom line here?

Is there any brand of wax that you Jeep guys can recommend which will NOT affect all the black plastic trim? . . .

I use Meguiar's products a lot . . . the car wash soap and the wheel cleaner in particular, but I am afarid to try to wax my beloved Jeep with all her black plastic trim pieces.

As a newbie, I might also add that I have never had a vehicle with so much black plastic trim pieces all over as I do now . . . . I love my Jeep!

Thanks for any advice!

All best, Joe
Any past wax will be difficult to remove from the textured plastic pieces on the Jeep. I know that "Liquid Ice" will not affect the plastic like past wax. But it isn't a true wax either.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for your posts, mjminner and JK-Ford . . .

After I did a little more research on Meguiars it turns out that they DO have a wax which will not stain vinyl or plastic parts:

Meguiars "Ultimate Liquid Wax" part # MEG G18216 ~$25

Although you can safely wax your Jeep around all the black plastic parts, it is not intended to wax these parts. But, if you get any of this wax on them, it will NOT stain!

Also, according to their Customer Service Dept you can use

Meguiars "M-39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner" 16oz ~$10
to remove old wax residue.

Unfortunately, the OP stated he already tried this product AND peanut butter. :(

At least we know what WAX to use from now on. Hope this helps.

All best, Joe

Last edited by Jersey Joe; 04-27-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Can't get wax off of the plastic trim...