Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can't get wax off of the plastic trim...

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will post a pic of my bottle here in an hour or so when I get back to house. I was drinking one day and decided to try it. It's UV protected so even when the spray dies down after a few washes, it still doesn't have a horrible fade look...

Some times drinking and and phukn with stuff does work
Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're really concerned about getting them to look new again, you could take them off and scrub them with paint thinner, then repaint them. It would give you a chance to clean where the fender meets the body too.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well my can of WD-40 apparently has 0.25 ounces left in it so I gave it a test run on the antenna trim and my rock sliders/steps.

The eraser works... but I have no desire to spend 8 hours going over the entire car with an eraser if I can just WD-40 it or gasoline it off.

Little side note, is WD-40 totally safe for use on the paint? Like will prolonged exposure damage anything? Their website seemed pretty confident it was ok to use on paint.

Last edited by Trauma; 09-22-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't think it would hurt the paint (but I'm not a chemical engineer by trade) I wouldn't leave it on there too long though just long enought to get the job done then wash the area with soap and water (maybe like Dawn to get the grease off). I've never had an issue will gas or WD-40 screwing up my paint. I would think the clear coat would handle it fine.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CbtEngr
I wouldn't think it would hurt the paint (but I'm not a chemical engineer by trade) I wouldn't leave it on there too long though just long enought to get the job done then wash the area with soap and water (maybe like Dawn to get the grease off). I've never had an issue will gas or WD-40 screwing up my paint. I would think the clear coat would handle it fine.
Never thought to use dawn to get the residue of the WD-40 off. Good call thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vegetable oil has worked for me in the past. Just put some on a rag or paper towel and use that to scrub it off
Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Magic Eraser...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma
Never thought to use dawn to get the residue of the WD-40 off. Good call thanks.
Dawn is a good degreaser but its harsh on auto paint. Clothes detergent is also harsh. I wouldn't make a habit of it, if you're obsessed with extending your new-car shine. Why not use Zip or another car wash soap? It should act as a degreaser too.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhol111964

Dawn is a good degreaser but its harsh on auto paint. Clothes detergent is also harsh. I wouldn't make a habit of it, if you're obsessed with extending your new-car shine. Why not use Zip or another car wash soap? It should act as a degreaser too.
By harsh do you just mean it can strip wax? Because if you want to relax that's not a bad thing.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EzK
By harsh do you just mean it can strip wax? Because if you want to relax that's not a bad thing.
To my knowledge, while it does strip wax, it also removes chemicals the paint needs?

Quick Reply: Can't get wax off of the plastic trim...