Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can't enter key program mode

Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't enter key program mode

Bought a third key (no remote) off ebay as a spare for my 2007 Rubi (power locks but no alarm) and got it cut at a local locksmith. I have 2 working keys, but cannot seem to enter program mode to program the third key following the instructions in the manual.

I insert first working key and turn to on. After between 3 and 15 seconds (I've tried shorter and longer) I remove the first key and insert the second working key and turn it to on. After about 10 seconds the red light will start to flash, but it never beeps and never comes on solid (should it be solid?). The red light stops flashing and goes out as soon as I remove the second key(i've tried waiting over a minute, taking it out as soon as it starts flashing, and everything in bewtween). It just does not appear to enter programing mode as the manual says it should. Inserting the new key makes teh red light flash again, but it never beeps and does not get programmed. I've tried waiting longer, switching keys quicker, wearing my seatbelt (stops the initial warning beeps when teh keys are first turned on), standing on my head, muttering incantations - no luck.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Can't enter key program mode

I purchased one from ebay too and came to find out it was counterfeit. Had the same thing happen with a motorola bluetooth.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I copied this from another thread:
(see my note at the end)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNNR View Post

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for at least 3 seconds, but no longer than 15-seconds. Then, turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position within 15 seconds. After ten seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the indicator light will turn on again for 3 seconds and then turn off".

GNNR posted the manual instructions but my reality was a little different. In step 3, I did not get a chime but I did get the flashing light, so I proceeded. Then, in step 4 the single chime did sound but it was after about 30 seconds (not 10); the light did stop flashing but did not come on again for 3 seconds.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for responses.

I thought about the possiblity of a bad/fake new key, but since it seemed to be acting wrong and not going into program mode even before the new key was inserted, I discounted that possibilty.

Jiblet, your experience sounds closer to mine than what the manual says should happen. The light flashes, but no chime. Did the flashing stop when you removed the second working key, then start again when you put the new key in? Thats what mine did.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtowen
Thanks for responses.

I thought about the possiblity of a bad/fake new key, but since it seemed to be acting wrong and not going into program mode even before the new key was inserted, I discounted that possibilty.

Jiblet, your experience sounds closer to mine than what the manual says should happen. The light flashes, but no chime. Did the flashing stop when you removed the second working key, then start again when you put the new key in? Thats what mine did.
sorry, I can't remember. but it sounds like you are getting to step 4; try again and just wait a good while for the chime. I do remember it seemed to take forever even though it was only 30 seconds.

good luck
Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am also having the same issue. Let us know if you figure it out. I wonder if my issue stems from already losing a key and having the dealer program a new one maybe it used the same code so it's not viewing it as two different keys

Did anyone who did program a blank key get the chime on step 2 after 10 seconds?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

I bought a spare key for my '09 Rubi off ebay (seller: chapstick4). Had it cut locally and went thru the programming steps and it worked. My steps were a bit different too.

1. Put first key and turn to ON for 5 sec. Take key out
2. Put second key in and turn to ON. Wait a few seconds. Alarm LED began to flash and then went out. No chime heard. Pull out key.
3. Put in new spare and turn to on. Waited about 10 seconds, no LED or chime. Tried to start Jeep and it fired right up.

Seems like each year is slightly different.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Mine didn't work

I bought a key with remote (FOB?) off of e-bay and I tried to program and it didn't work, so I ended up bringing it to dealer and have them try to program the new key, but no avail.

I disputed as the seller didn't communicate well. However, the seller refunded after the dispute.

I would like to have a third key just in case. However, I haven't been looking for one in a while.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a key (no fob) from EBay from seller, Chapstick4. i tried a few times and it wouldn't program. I was reading this thread and I seen Trackerrrr had bought one from the same guy and it was able to be programmed. So I tried what Trackerrrr did and the thing works now. Thanks Trackerrr! The only thing I think I did different was try to start it without turning the key back to off first.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response. Still not working though. I think I have tried it at least 50 times with different variations now. I have finally give up and just ordered another key from a different ebay seller. Hopefully it will work. If not I guess its dealer time

Quick Reply: Can't enter key program mode