Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can you go 4H to 4L while on a hill?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you go 4H to 4L while on a hill?

If you are in 4H on a hill lets say in 1st gear and decide you need a little extra oomph and want to drop to 4L, how do you do this or can you not very easily?

This is for the Automatic btw.

The manual says to put the Auto in Neutral at 2-3mph and then go into 4L... but I was thinking if you were on a hill and went into Neutral you'd probably have to hold the breaks while you tried to get into 4L.

What do you guys do, if there's any sort of hill do you automatically just go into 4L and not bother with 4H?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As long as you're moving forward 2-3 mph, then yes, you can do it.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6 speed.....but I always stop before switching. I have a also have a Rubi with 5.13's so the difference in speed between 1st in 4H and 1st on 4L is pretty drastic. Speed in 1st and 4H is about like 4th in 4L
Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brent_f70
I have a 6 speed.....but I always stop before switching. I have a also have a Rubi with 5.13's so the difference in speed between 1st in 4H and 1st on 4L is pretty drastic. Speed in 1st and 4H is about like 4th in 4L
I'm thinking the difference between speed in 4H and 4L is pretty much the same no matter what gear ratio you have in your diffs. It's all relative to the diff gearing, yes, but it should be the same %'s we're talking about. Either way you're going from a 4.46:1 first gear to a 1.XX:1 fourth gear, right?

FWIW, when I hit a trail, I automatically stick it in 4L. I then just adjust what gear I'm in to alter speed on the trail. I've never driven in 4WD in snow, though. I assume that's where I'd use 4H the most. I'm sure I'll find out this winter.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
I'm thinking the difference between speed in 4H and 4L is pretty much the same no matter what gear ratio you have in your diffs. It's all relative to the diff gearing, yes, but it should be the same %'s we're talking about. Either way you're going from a 4.46:1 first gear to a 1.XX:1 fourth gear, right?

FWIW, when I hit a trail, I automatically stick it in 4L. I then just adjust what gear I'm in to alter speed on the trail. I've never driven in 4WD in snow, though. I assume that's where I'd use 4H the most. I'm sure I'll find out this winter.

really all depends....If he does not have a Rubicon the 4H to 4L jump is not as drastic. The Rubicon has a much lower gear ratio, the 5.13 just amplify the feeling especially in 1st or 2nd gear.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

i also put it in 4lo soon as i hit the trail. ive really only use 4hi on snowy streets. i wouldnt recommend swithing to 4lo in the middle of a hill. should be lookin at stuff before you go up it and figuring out what you need to be in.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

He is talking about an auto, so there is no option to go up in gears. I use 4 hi on the trails unles I see a hill down or up that looks like I will need the 4 lo. But I would switch it before i start.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea do it before you get to the hill. IMO, and what i do (unless youre riding dunes) keep it in 4lo. definitely dont change it while on the hill in gear.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

The smart thing is to do it first. In 4 lo you have so much more control and finess.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

I like to go slow when offroad. I am not the guy on the trail with his motor at 7k rpm, tires smoking, and jeep bouncing all the way up the hill. I like to put it in 4lo and put my tranny in 1 (I have an auto also) and barely use the gas. I like the extra control I get chugging along at slow speeds.

Quick Reply: Can you go 4H to 4L while on a hill?