Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can some one please explain "drive by wire" as it pertains to the JK

Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one know what year Jeep started using DBW?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet for the wrangler that it was when the JK version began. With the new engine came the new system.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a mod that supposedly gives better response to the "gas' pedal. It's a module that goes somewhere on/in the pedal area. Quadratec carries it. A bit pricey also. See Sprint Booster SBJE1011S - SprintBooster Selectable Power Converter for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with Manual Transmission - Quadratec
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I must have gotten the one dialed in DBW as my 2013 has very nice response and the skinny pedal feels just right. I have been driving since the early 70's and legally since the mid 70's and have driven and owned more vehicles (cars, trucks, suv's and motorcycles) then I can count and I have no complaints with my 2013 jku.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
I must have gotten the one dialed in DBW as my 2013 has very nice response and the skinny pedal feels just right. I have been driving since the early 70's and legally since the mid 70's and have driven and owned more vehicles (cars, trucks, suv's and motorcycles) then I can count and I have no complaints with my 2013 jku.
Wonder if there is a conversion kit. Not liking the lag myself
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now that I have gotten used to DBW and turned off the Hill Start Assist I do like driving my JK. It did take me a good 3 months to get comfortable with the gas and clutch.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

DBW doesn't seem too bad with an automatic transmission (i.e. my wife's Caravan), but I don't like the way it feels on my Jeep with manual trans. Seems to have an annoying lag when you do the accelerator/clutch dance.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i got mine i too thought the dbw was at fault but then disabled hill assist and all was well
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I find myself struggling with this DBW setup in terms of getting in really smooth shifts with the manual trans. On my '09, the 3.8 was a bit more predictable and the flywheel felt much heavier, so all shifting was kind of done in slow motion because the engine would spin down so slowly. Nailing a perfect upshift or downshift was cake.

On my 2012 sport, the engine is much more responsive, touchy, even. It seems like the engagement point of the clutch changes, even though it doesn't. It's more about the throttle....seems like the DBW module is "listening" better sometimes than others. It feels like if I press the gas a set amount, sometimes the clutch engages with only a little bit of power, or I get too much. Throw that in with a cycling a/c compressor that robs power sometimes and some days I just want to yell at the damn thing because I can't get a smooth shift to save my life (and I've been driving manual-trans cars for a LONG time).

And on downshifts, if I want to rev match, sometimes with DBW cars I have to rev twice as if to tell the module "no, really, dumbass, I put my foot into the pedal for a reason. I need you to spin up to 3k so I can seamlessly grab 3rd. Don't just give me 2400. I need 3000."
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have an automatic so sounds like there is a big difference in stick and auto take off.

Quick Reply: Can some one please explain "drive by wire" as it pertains to the JK