Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can i swap the baseline stock jk radio without bluetooth for a 730n radio?

Old 02-20-2016, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can i swap the baseline stock jk radio without bluetooth for a 730n radio?

i have a 2014 jk with a broken stock radio without bluetooth(with stock speaker system)and a friend has a 730n radio with nav that he's willing to sell me for cheap. First of all can i swap this new radio out easily? secondly other than not having the voice button on the steering wheel, will this new 730n still have bluetooth(for mp3) and navigation capabilities? or does it need special equipment for these features.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping in a 730n

My previous Jeep was a 2011 JKU and it came with a lowly 130 with no bluetooth or uconnect. I swapped in a 730N that I purchased from a forum member in Texas. When I first fired it up it thought it was still in Texas (I'm in California) and had the previous owners VIN etc. After cycling the power a couple of times it learned that it was now in California and correctly displayed my VIN. The 730N has bluetooth and uconnect integrated and both worked flawlessly for me after I added the antenna & microphone kit. I even had the steering wheel controls and the previous owner of the 730N did not. All worked for me without even a trip to the dealer.

My current JKU is a 10A and I ordered it specifically with the 430N because cusom POI's (Points Of Interest) can be uploaded into the 430N but you can't upload them into the 730N. Having had both I can say that each have their advantages and disadvantages. I really liked how the 730N controlled my IPOD. It also had split screen that would show Lat/Lon, elevation, on the same page as the map. You could also store around a dozen breadcrumb trails on the 730N. The 430 says it has breadcrumb trails but what it actually does is mark everywhere you go until you turn the breadcrumb trail off then all is lost. There is no option to save.

I'd try it. It doesn't take very long to change it out.

my $.02

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to make sure you both share the same speed bus. The newer radios won't work on older models, and vice versa.

Quick Reply: Can i swap the baseline stock jk radio without bluetooth for a 730n radio?