Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can the Dealership turn off my DRLs

Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Octo
Can they? Most likely.

Will they? No.

I asked two dealerships in Ontario and one in New Brunswick to turn mine off and they all said no. They were unclear on the law and didn't want to deactivate a feature that may have been a legal requirement. I eventually bought a ProCAL to turn mine off/
i was going to buy the AEV tuner but i want to get the superchip on instead because it has other features i want. can u run two different tuners at the same time?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thrshr01
That's because you guys don't have Canada spec JKs.
Ahh. I guess...It's a Canada thing, we wouldn't understand.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sinkic
Hey i was just wonder if the dealership can turn of my DRLs (daytiime running lights)? just because im bring in my Jeep for the K19 recall and i was just
gonna have them do it, if they can.

Thanks

Sinkic
Why would you want to?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by daubie
Why would you want to?
here is my problem

I have HIDs and on the DRLS the lights flicker because the DRLS run on
lower amps then the lights turned on full. so i want them to just disable
the lights so they dont flicker and also it is bad for the ballast to run like
that (damage them).
so i was thinking

1. turn off the DRLs elimanting the flickering

or

2. Is there anyway that they can turn the lights on fully all the time
so then lights wont flicker

any help would be great

thanks sinkic
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, we've been asking Superchips to add a feature for setting fogs or parking lights as DRLs. Then you can run HIDs without worrying about the DRLs. It's been almost ten months now. All they say is it's been passed to the engineers. So far nothing has been added. Let's hope one day they'll come around to it, but I'd personally given up on that pipe dream.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DTJK
Well, we've been asking Superchips to add a feature for setting fogs or parking lights as DRLs. Then you can run HIDs without worrying about the DRLs. It's been almost ten months now. All they say is it's been passed to the engineers. So far nothing has been added. Let's hope one day they'll come around to it, but I'd personally given up on that pipe dream.
damn thats would be sweet! i love there tuner to!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Hey i was just wonder if the dealership can turn of my DRLs (daytiime running lights)? just because im bring in my Jeep for the K19 recall and i was just
gonna have them do it, if they can.

Thanks

Sinkic
And there are those, like me, who contact Chrysler especially to activate this feature. This is because here in Switzerland it is not required by law yet only a recommendation... I went ot Chrysler Import directly and a guy who is responsible to provide the garages with technical support came to me with one of those little boxes to connect and reprogramm whatever...

The daylight feature was only one of many hundreds in the list... it took about 1 min. to activate.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

2. Is there anyway that they can turn the lights on fully all the time
so then lights wont flicker

any help would be great

thanks sinkic
You could try to explain this to the dealership and see if they can activate European mode DRL, I did this on my Jeep with the ProCAL. In European mode all park lights are on and the low beams are on at full intensity. This should avoid your issue.

Also it isn't a matter of low amps, the DRLs are run with a Pulse width modulation signal.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
They wont disable it here in Canada....its the law to have them on...if you disable, you could get a fine for it.
Originally Posted by Canada17
If you are in an accident and they were not functioning you are 100% at fault. Been there done that.
Seriously?! Like the other driver can't see you in broad daylight without those dumb lights on? That's stupid! I mean I can understand them being mandated, because it helps, but to make the absence of them the main cause of an accident?

Originally Posted by johnr41a
Ahh. I guess...It's a Canada thing, we wouldn't understand.
I guess so.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTJK
My Procal does that...I actually just turned my fogs on as DRL's. Looks pretty cool and a lot of people have asked me how I wired it

Quick Reply: Can the Dealership turn off my DRLs