Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can dealer deny warranty if you do your own oil changes?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Answer: try to establish a good relationship, bring the service mgr donuts ,pizza, beer for after work when you have some work done.......
hookers are better
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brashanic
hookers are better
Maybe for you, if they're cheaper than a box of donuts, well um..... I'd prolly get hit with a warranty charge AND a doctor and penicillin bill from the service mgr.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
It's too easy and cheap to go to the dealership with the 19.95 coupons they send out for oil change and tire rotation to do it yourself. It takes more time to drive to PEP Boys, buy the oil, change it, find a proper disposal and then have to ask if they'll cover the work than to just drive to the dealership or Jiffy... or Big-O and have it done for $20 dollars.
I recycle my used oil while picking up a new filter and oil. I rotate my tires while the used oil is draining into the pan. I have the piece of mind that the job was done right and the opportunity to inspect all sorts of components while crawling underneath and in the engine compartment.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Buy the filter and maybe even the oil from them,,,, keep records and your tickets.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turtoni
As an example, to keep the lifetime powertrain warranty, all you need to do is bring your vehicle in after 5 years and have it inspected. Assuming all goes well, that's it.

There is no mention of having to provide evidence of any kind in respect to maintenance..
+1. This is what you see stated in the manual. In order to keep the warranty active you must have a 5 year inspection by the dealer.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Seems like the dealer can decide not to warranty for whatever reason they want. BS if you ask me.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

my problem with keeping receipts is that most of the time after a while the ink will fade and it becomes a thin strip of plain white paper. anybody ever get this? i was saving receipts for taxes and noticed after a while that half of them were blank. i do my own work on my jeep. i keep a log for my reference but nothing for the sake of warranty. i figure if something catastrophic goes wrong they'll find a way to weasel out of it anyway so why bother? i don't like anybody working on my vehicles anyway. i might try to get it covered if something DOES happen, but i'm not gunna sweat it when they tell me no
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Ok, so I have the dealer do all my own oil changes on the engine and tranny to keep from getting grief if I ever have to use my lifetime warranty. I am getting a little tired however of diving there and paying them when I could do it myself. If I ever had to call my lifetime warranty into use could they deny me for this reason? (and let's be realistic we all know how much Chrysler will use any excuse to wiggle out of warranty work)
I keep a written log and a duplicate computer log of all maintenance work.

I change my own oil (Penzoil) but buy the oil filter ($5) from my dealership. I buy the air filter ($17) from the dealership. I change my own diff oil (Mobile 1), and transfer case oil (Mopar from the dealership). I have my dealership change the ATF fluid. I keep my receipts from the dealership even though I bet they have them in their computer.

As a side note I also buy many of my upgrades/equipment from my dealer as they usually have a good discounted price, and since I buy the equipment from them it would be a little harder for them (not Chrysler) to question the upgrade.

I also personally talk with the service manager before I do any upgrade and ask if my warrantee would have any issues.

I have not had to opportunity to test out the extended warrantee yet.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
my problem with keeping receipts is that most of the time after a while the ink will fade and it becomes a thin strip of plain white paper. anybody ever get this? i was saving receipts for taxes and noticed after a while that half of them were blank. i do my own work on my jeep. i keep a log for my reference but nothing for the sake of warranty. i figure if something catastrophic goes wrong they'll find a way to weasel out of it anyway so why bother? i don't like anybody working on my vehicles anyway. i might try to get it covered if something DOES happen, but i'm not gunna sweat it when they tell me no
I'm in the same boat, except i dont even bother to keep my receipts since if they won't take my word that i regularly do my own oil changes as detailed in the manual, although every 3000 miles instead of the 6000 miles, they can just as easily blow off ANY documentation. Typing it into in computer means shit. Even if they did all the oil changes, they could still say you did something to the vehicle to cause the problem if they really want too. The way i look at is that, if there's anything wrong with the engine, that is some how caused by the oil or lack of oil it could happen even if they did the changes, so what's the difference? I mean you sign a paper to say you accepted the work done.. Personally, i think there's LESS chance of something going wrong if i do the changes. Spot the irony..

Is there going to be any sludge in my engine? No.
Is there going to be damage due to low oil levels? No.
Is there going to be signs of there being long intervals between oil changes? No.

So i'm good. And i feel confident enough to look the service manager in the eye and say that i have gone above and beyond to maintain my vehicle; if i'm looking to the warranty. If that's not good enough then f$ck 'em. Plus i'm a licensed professional in another field. If it was enough to go to court over, i'd be confident for the win, and they could pick up the lawyer's bill too.

Last edited by turtoni; 07-28-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps i could have the wife video "tape" my JK's oil changes. Jesus,

Quick Reply: Can dealer deny warranty if you do your own oil changes?