Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can dealer deny warranty if you do your own oil changes?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turtoni
The manual tells you how to do your oil changes and states nothing about having to keep your receipts, etc in order for you to remain in warranty.

If i ever need some warranty work doing and the oil changing, maintenance comes into question, i'll take my chances and they'll either take my word on it or i guess i'll have to find a dealer that does or as a last alternative, get legal.
You can be assured that they will not take your word on it. Why chance it? It takes all of 10 seconds to write the mileage on the top of the receipt from the parts store and put it in a folder somewhere in your desk or in a packet in the glovebox.

Without proof of the work being done (receipts) you'll be laughed out of court. I'd be very surprised if anything but a certified ambulance chaser accepted such a challenge. You bear the burden of proof that it was done and you "word" isn't going to suffice in a legal situation. That's a legal precedent that does not have to be mentioned by the company. Not only that, its "common sense" and "common knowledge" but there's always a person who doesn't believe in that, so here's an excerpt from a law firm in NY/Penn that focuses on lemon-law, this topic specifically:
"The dealer blames the problem on engine sludge and asks to see the driver’s oil change receipts confirming that they have cared for the car as outlined in the owner’s manual. ... Before he knows it, the consumer is socked with a repair bill in the thousands and there is nothing anyone can do about it, including us. Why? because the consumer did not keep proof that he fulfilled his responsibilities."
You're incorrect about the manual not requiring proof. Check pp.503 on the 2010 Manual (Maintenance Schedules.) Its probably close to that page in other years. For those with the DVD manual, it's pp. 57 of the Users Guide booklet. Asks for odometer, date, and authorized service center signature (i.e. stamp.) Keeping the receipts is just an extra added layer of protection if you're doing the work yourself, and not at a shop that keeps their own record where the dealer can verify service.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 4.27.37 AM..jpg
Views:	257
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	78735  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I am still using my 2 years of free oil changes. But my dealer sends out $17.95 coupons all the time. If you do your maintenance with the dealer ... I guarantee they will fight harder with corporate to get any repairs done under warranty.

Even after your warranty is expired ... dealers have a slush fund available to them to help out with major repairs so you don't have to pay 100% out of pocket. This slush fund is only for those customers who have used the dealership for service.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

i asked the dealership about this.

they said.... as long as you have a filter recipt and oil repcipt, and also the kms you changed it at... your fine and in warrenty. thats why i have mmilllions of recipts in my glove box
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdnky
You can be assured that they will not take your word on it. Why chance it? It takes all of 10 seconds to write the mileage on the top of the receipt from the parts store and put it in a folder somewhere in your desk or in a packet in the glovebox.

Without proof of the work being done (receipts) you'll be laughed out of court. I'd be very surprised if anything but a certified ambulance chaser accepted such a challenge. You bear the burden of proof that it was done and you "word" isn't going to suffice in a legal situation. That's a legal precedent that does not have to be mentioned by the company. Not only that, its "common sense" and "common knowledge" but there's always a person who doesn't believe in that, so here's an excerpt from a law firm in NY/Penn that focuses on lemon-law, this topic specifically:
"The dealer blames the problem on engine sludge and asks to see the driver’s oil change receipts confirming that they have cared for the car as outlined in the owner’s manual. ... Before he knows it, the consumer is socked with a repair bill in the thousands and there is nothing anyone can do about it, including us. Why? because the consumer did not keep proof that he fulfilled his responsibilities."
You're incorrect about the manual not requiring proof. Check pp.503 on the 2010 Manual (Maintenance Schedules.) Its probably close to that page in other years. For those with the DVD manual, it's pp. 57 of the Users Guide booklet. Asks for odometer, date, and authorized service center signature (i.e. stamp.) Keeping the receipts is just an extra added layer of protection if you're doing the work yourself, and not at a shop that keeps their own record where the dealer can verify service.
Having the receipts doesn't prove anything. You could have done the oil change on another vehicle. Also it doesn't specify anywhere that you *have* to keep a record. Sure there's a place for you to keep the record but it doesn't say you have to keep a record. *They'll* have to prove that the engine was damaged due to incorrect maintenance.

What about the lifetime powertrain warranty? All you have to do is have your JK inspected. Says nothing about bringing in a bunch of paperwork showing that you've been maintaining it..

Last edited by turtoni; 07-27-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
It's too easy and cheap to go to the dealership with the 19.95 coupons they send out for oil change and tire rotation than to do it yourself. It takes more time to drive to PEP Boys, buy the oil, change it, find a proper disposal and then have to ask if they'll cover the work than to just drive to the dealership or Jiffy... or Big-O and have it done for $20 dollars.
It's going to cost you a lot more to use synthetic and i want to use the right oil filter since i don't want the dry start. Plus, it's so easy to do, that i'd rather do the work on my vehicle, knowing that i'll do it right.. And i won't have to listen to any bullshit about something else needing to be done. Also you can collect about 3 changes in a good oil container. So thats one trip to a used oil collection center after 3 oil changes.

Last edited by turtoni; 07-27-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

I was reading the lifetime power-train warranty guide and it states that to keep the warranty they only have to see the Jeep for a full engine/transmission check once every 5yrs. (Which they say this check is free of charge. If you are doing your own oil changes just keep receipts. I let them do my oil changes to be on the safe side, but I change the fluids in my diffs and transfer case myself.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
I was reading the lifetime power-train warranty guide and it states that to keep the warranty they only have to see the Jeep for a full engine/transmission check once every 5yrs. (Which they say this check is free of charge. If you are doing your own oil changes just keep receipts. I let them do my oil changes to be on the safe side, but I change the fluids in my diffs and transfer case myself.
I'm not going to be scared into not doing maintenance work on my JK because it might void the warranty. Thats just bullshit. And we can keep all the receipts we want, but they can still say, you didn't do it right, or you didn't do it when you said you did, or that the receipts don't prove anything.

Sure it's not going to hurt anything to keep the receipts though if you want too.

But realistically, anything that needs to be covered under warranty, is unlikely to center around whether or not there were scheduled oil changes, in my opinion.

Anyway, my JK is going to run forever!!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default In a word, NO

it will not void your warranty. I wish the dealer great amounts of luck establishing why your changing your own oil caused the radio to quit, or the transmission to fail, or a wheel bearing to burn out.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mdnky
Legally they can not deny the warranty unless they can prove that the service/part caused an issue. That's Federal Law, you can find out more by googling the Magnesson-Moss Act passed by congress.

That said, its next to impossible for them to prove any kind of fault with an oil change unless something really stupid is done (gross over/under fill, plug left out, filter double gasket, wrong oil, etc.)

To keep yourself safe, keep detailed records (i.e. receipts) with the date, mileage and description. You should be doing that anyway, even if the dealer does the service. If you choose a shop to do the oil, make sure of a few things:
  1. That they have a certification or endorsement by a national agency (MAP {Motorists Assurance Program}, AAA, ASE.)
  2. They use the correct grade of oil. A lot of small shops still buy bulk 10w30 because its cheaper than 5w30 or 5w20. That's slowly changing, but still a concern. Make sure the receipt states 5w20 on it somewhere and that it is printed, not hand written, preferably. I'd also suggest using a shop that uses a quality name brand like Mobil, Valvoline or Penzoil. The oil needs to meet or exceed Chrysler's specs and all three of those brands do at the conventional level.

If you do the work yourself, make sure you know how to properly do it and you keep very detailed records. The only requirement under Magnesson-Moss is that a qualified person do the work. The definition of qualified is not stated. Mobil and Valvoline used to offer some kind of e-learning certificate you could get online after watching some videos they had of how to change your oil and taking a test. Maybe do that if it'll make you feel better.
you really sound like you know what your talking about. but you only get 1 star because of spelling. no one is going to believe you if you can't spell it.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I think we need a sticky that says" Dealer can void your warranty for any reason they deem necessary , depending on the dealer, and or if you have the time and $$$$ to fight in court"
Answer: try to establish a good relationship, bring the service mgr donuts ,pizza, beer for after work when you have some work done. Show up with said products before you ask if warranties apply.
Answer 2: Show up and be a dick, chance of warranty work being covered goes down dramatically.

As been stated before, depends on your dealer ,by now most know what "legally" your entitled too, but there is so much they can do to push you aside if they want too, how much is worth in time and money?

Quick Reply: Can dealer deny warranty if you do your own oil changes?