Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A/C Recirculation - Softtop

Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Recirculation - Softtop

When I run the A/C on recirculate with my softtop on, I get a "rumble" sound at highway speeds. It's bad enough that I will not use recirculate with my softtop on. Has anyone else notice this?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hooterbeans
When I run the A/C on recirculate with my softtop on, I get a "rumble" sound at highway speeds. It's bad enough that I will not use recirculate with my softtop on. Has anyone else notice this?
At highway speeds, If i turn on recirculate, it drops the internal pressure of the jeep, the soft top sucks in and starts flopping & slapping the soundbar. I dont use it at speed.

It is pretty amazing just how much the top lifts between the two extremes.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

All they do with that TSB is to put 1/16" thick foam on the top of the roll bar with some industrial strength glue. It helps immensely when the windows are open at 70mph.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I have some wicked soft top flapping at 70mph too. However, I dont have the slap or rumble with the AC on. It does suck into the softop windows though. I find it wierd that the soft top has that much play in it. Seems they could have gotten that done a little better.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

There's only so much you can do with soft tops. Cars in genral hadle it better but they usually have more brace points which means smaller panels plus they have compound curves to boot. It's just too easy to cause a deflection for them to get all the flap out. go pull a steel cable tight & you can still deflect it a surprising amount with two fingers. Our sail cloth is certainly more eleastic, and needs to be so in order to install the top. The hard top doesn't flap much at all. Maybe that would be a better fit for your needs.

Quick Reply: A/C Recirculation - Softtop