Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A/C question

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C question

On my new 2011, whenever I start the Jeep the air comes out of the floor vents for 5-10 seconds before it switches up to the dash vents. This is after the 5 or so second delay for the blower motor to run following startup. It does this with the A/C on or off and the selector switch set to the dash vents. Is this normal? I am worried that this will eventually cause the flapper door (or whatever you call it) that directs the airflow in the ducting to fail since it is switching vents on every startup. It did not do this in my 2010, it would come out immediately from the selected vents.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2011 sport does this too. I'm interested to see what is said.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
jsl
JK Enthusiast

Default A/C

My 2009 does it , it just has a delay as it cycles from floor to what ever I turn it to. Or are you saying it always does this when you turn it on?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
kik
JK Freak

Like your 10. My 10 Rubi doesn't do it. I would have to guess that when your Jeep is off you're losing vacuum which causes the flapper door to default to the lower position. Then, in the 5-10 seconds it takes to build vacuum, it switches back to the dash. I bet you have a leak in a line or in the controller. I would take it in under warranty.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Mine has a delay also..maybe because of the auto temp feature?

Originally Posted by Paul R
On my new 2011, whenever I start the Jeep the air comes out of the floor vents for 5-10 seconds before it switches up to the dash vents. This is after the 5 or so second delay for the blower motor to run following startup. It does this with the A/C on or off and the selector switch set to the dash vents. Is this normal? I am worried that this will eventually cause the flapper door (or whatever you call it) that directs the airflow in the ducting to fail since it is switching vents on every startup. It did not do this in my 2010, it would come out immediately from the selected vents.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sounds like it makes sense kik.

I am not worried about the delay with the blower when starting the Jeep...that sounds like a feature that makes sense...let the engine get oil to the heads and such before engaging the load of the A/C. But I am worried about the flapper door. Think I will call the dealership.

Thx,
Paul
Old 06-09-2011, 03:35 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Paul R
That sounds like it makes sense kik.

I am not worried about the delay with the blower when starting the Jeep...that sounds like a feature that makes sense...let the engine get oil to the heads and such before engaging the load of the A/C. But I am worried about the flapper door. Think I will call the dealership.

Thx,
Paul
The delay with the blower after starting the Jeep is normal for all auto climate control systems. When you turn on the A/C, it's also normal to have a 2-10 second delay before the compressor kicks on. Air coming out of the floor vents then switching to the dash when the switch is set to the dash and cycling between the two every time you start it, isn't normal. I really think there is a malfunctioning vacuum control and/or line.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '10 has never done it.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

My 11 sport has done it since I drove it off yhe lot with 7 miles. 11k now still works fine and does it all the time
Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

No just a Jeep thing, I drove a Dodge Avenger rent car and it does the same thing.

Quick Reply: A/C question