Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Buzzing noise while coasting

Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kflash
... I did replace the rear driveshaft, but only retorqued the pinion nut to 170 ftlbs, so should be ok there....
hmm...the first thing I thought of when I read this post was a bad pinion bearing, or pinion that's got unwanted movement...they say a whirring noise while coasting is a tell tale sign. I'd recheck this if I were you, it's really the last thing you want going bad (well you don't want anything going bad)...its worth a check.
Did you re-use the same pinion nut? Use locktite?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I am going to fess up to my dumbness! I had let the Jeep sit and drive the daugher's car till the weekend. Today I go out with plans of pulling the wheel and checking things out. I didn't have to get very far. I rotated the tires about 2 weeks ago and yes, I must have forgot to torque that one wheel down. Three of the lug nuts could be tightened further by hand. Back to 95 ftlbs and all is well. The studs all looked ok. Wow, that could have been scary!

So, check those lugs! I am kicking myself, because I am so meticulous!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kflash
Alright, I am going to fess up to my dumbness! I had let the Jeep sit and drive the daugher's car till the weekend. Today I go out with plans of pulling the wheel and checking things out. I didn't have to get very far. I rotated the tires about 2 weeks ago and yes, I must have forgot to torque that one wheel down. Three of the lug nuts could be tightened further by hand. Back to 95 ftlbs and all is well. The studs all looked ok. Wow, that could have been scary!

So, check those lugs! I am kicking myself, because I am so meticulous!
Wow. Good thing nothing bad happened.

...and thanks. I think most wouldn't have fessed up to their own mistakes. Everyone can take this as a lesson to check the torque, then check again.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Wow. Good thing nothing bad happened.

...and thanks. I think most wouldn't have fessed up to their own mistakes. Everyone can take this as a lesson to check the torque, then check again.
X2, glad all is well dude

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise while coasting