Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Buzz sound when shifting

Old 12-01-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzz sound when shifting

OK so this has been going on since a few weeks after I bought it. When I shift at higher RPMs, (anything above 3500 or so) there is a buzz/rattle sound when I disengage the clutch. You can even feel it in the clutch pedal somewhat. I have been watching the TSBs and this board for similar problems but so far the issues most are having is a squeek. The dealership has had it twice. The first time they changed the throwout bearing per the TSB even though the actual symptoms were different than described in the TSB. It really seemed like a throwout bearing noise so we hoped this would work but no change. Then this week they changed the clutch disk as per the new TSB related to clutch noise but still no change. The mechanic was vert sympathetic and said he definately agrees there is a problem but doesn't know what to do at this poiny. He said everything looked normal when he tore it apart. He also said he has heard the same buzz in other new JKs. So..... anyone else having this issue? And more importantly anyone found a solution?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Really? Am I the only one having this problem? The mechanic made it sound like it was fairly common.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

You are not the only one. If I am shifting with the rpm's over about 2500-2800, I get a gear meshing, grinding sound type noise. It is almost as if the clutch isnt fully disengaging. Le tme know if you ever figure out what it is. Mine doesn't qualify for the bearing TSB.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine isn't gear meshing. It sounds like the throwout bearing is spinning and vibrating. Changing the bearing didn't help though. I will definately post if I ever figure it out.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

mine does it too, I thought it was just bad engineering. Might get it checked out although if nobody has any luck over your way, I dont think I will the service here isn't great.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

You might as well let em try. Hell even a broken clock is right twice a day. They might just get lucky and then you can tell the rest of us.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure your secondary sound dampener boot is on correctly under your main shifter boot.. the mechanic forgot to put it on correctly after he did the clutch TSB and it sounded god awful loud, I thought something was majorly wrong and it sounded like a spinning noise....worth checking...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem with my sahara 07 auto transmistion
I am planning to go to the dealership today.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the same buzzing problem when shifting at higher RPM. No ideas on fixes. I'm waiting and reading. My Jeep's only 2 weeks old with 2000miles. I also have a very anoying squeeking noise when riding on rough roads. Sounds like something is shaking more than it should, but I can't find the source. Still looking........

Quick Reply: Buzz sound when shifting