Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Buying a used 3.8L JK

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles

When I get my replacement desktop up for a scan I'll forward an 07 sales brochure. If you didn't order a build for yourself and bought off the lot the non standard equipment will be listed on the build sheet as options. Not standard.
On second thought I could be wrong. We can't buy 2 wheel drive Jeeps here. Only 4wd. Could make a difference in axle options as well. Can only speak to specs in my area. Move on. I'm out
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsukey
How a vehicle is treated has a lot to do with how it's going to hold up when it gets older.
Yea, I must have treated him badly, that's why my first engine was burning a quart at every 600 miles, and the second new engine they put in a quart at every 1500 miles. Makes me wonder how they would have held up as they got older....lol......but I wasn't that curious.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No reason to get butt hurt over a simple comment that wasn't even aimed at you. If you don't believe my statement is true, then you don't know anything about vehicles. There are plenty of 3.8 Jeep owners out there...just like myself at 120k, with high mileage, that are as happy as can be.
Sure, some of the 3.8's were notorious for burning oil. Those 3.8's were found to be manufactured in Mexico, and the rings had been installed backwards. You said you had a head leak, a steering box leak, as well as burning oil. That to me says that the Jeep has been rode hard and put up wet. Since those aren't normal issues that I've read or heard about.

To get back to what the OP was asking, there are some earlier JK's out there with oil consumption problems. Do a check with the VIN and find out where the Jeep was manufactured. I would be a little concerned if the engine was manufactured in Mexico. You may also try to track down the previous owner. Never hurts to try! Is the dealer offering any kind of warranty with the Jeep? I would try to work in a deal, stating they will cover the work needed, if there is an oil consumption problem. I just passed along some info on an '07 a few weeks ago to someone looking for a JK on one of the Facebook Jeep groups. It was a silver Sahara with 170,000 miles. They picked it up, and they have been happy with it as far as I know.

Originally Posted by gohard
Yea, I must have treated him badly, that's why my first engine was burning a quart at every 600 miles, and the second new engine they put in a quart at every 1500 miles. Makes me wonder how they would have held up as they got older....lol......but I wasn't that curious.

Last edited by jsukey; 09-07-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ran across a few in your area that were a little newer, and some with less mileage. All located at a dealer, so you'll still have the option to finance.

2 doors:
2010 JK with 61k miles and some mods for $22,495 - 2010 Jeep Wrangler soft top ......LIFTED!!! NEW TIRES, WINCH!!! 4WD
2008 JK with 115k miles for $14,995 - Jeep Wrangler

4 doors:
2011 JKU with 73k miles for $23,975 - 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
2010 JKU with 89k miles for $21,975 - 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
2008 JKU Rubicon with 122k miles for $22,000 - 2008 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 4dr Unlimited Rubicon
2009 JKU with 52k miles for $22,700 - 2009 Jeep Wrangler - Convertible, Low Miles!

Originally Posted by fizassist
I'd like to get a used JK unlimited, and my budget puts me in the 3.8L era. The specific one I'm looking at is a 2007 with 4.10 gears, which I assume will help with the butt-dyno. Assuming I test drive it and am OK with the power levels, how can I spot an oil-guzzling 3.8L? It's at a dealer, so I don't expect any knowledge of that history (or that it would be revealed if known). I'm not looking to spend $20K on a potentially bad engine.

Thanks for any warning signs or any other tips!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

My 2007 Rubi consumed a little oil, about 1qt every two weeks, maybe a little more. Otherwise it ran like a sewing machine, never had any troubles with it. I can't think of any way that you could check this above having it for a week - and looking under where it was parked for a possible leak. I suppose you could listen for clattering on start up - but most of them have that.

If you're looking at a Rubi, verify the lockers and the edisco are functional (these are very expensive to fix via MOPAR).
Old 09-11-2015, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsukey
You said you had a head leak, a steering box leak, as well as burning oil. That to me says that the Jeep has been rode hard and put up wet. Since those aren't normal issues that I've read or heard about.

Yes, they changed my first engine under warranty after a consumption check, then the second engine started to burn oil after 10 K miles. Just about had to add oil between oil changes (at every 3K miles) had I kept it longer I bet it would have gotten even worse. The Jeep wasn't driven hard at all was a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Buying a used 3.8L JK