Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Buying a new soft top! Help me decide please...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambled
Don't over think the install. It's pretty straight forward. There are plenty of install videos online. Chrysler/Jeep even has an install and removal video on their website. If you ever plan on taking the top off or folding it down you will be repeating most of the instalation steps anyway. You will spend more time driving to the dealer and signing in than it will take you to read the instructions, watch a video, and install the actual top.
I'm leaning with the super top nx..500.00 bucks cheaper. Does the trek top nx come completely down, or do you basically have to remove it to go topless. Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trektop has to be removed to go topless vs just folding down the supertop or OEM top.

It has positives and negatives. If you drive around in the heat of summer, sitting at stop lights with the sun beating on you, you'll probably end up wanting a safari top for some shade....in which case, the trektop is already a safari top.

Personally, in all my years with a Jeep, I've always put a safari top on when my top is off, so the trektop was a no brainer for me. Plus, no bow hardware to remove/install when the hard top goes on for Winter or comes off in the Spring. Since it has the sunrider feature, it's pretty much the best of both worlds. Since there's no top folded up in the already small "trunk" area, you also gain valuable storage space with the trektop.

As for install, any of them are super easy, no special skills or tools needed. Do it yourself, because as was stated earlier, you'll need to know how to install/remove at the end of Summer or in the Spring when you swap tops.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 71Luber
The trektop has to be removed to go topless vs just folding down the supertop or OEM top.

It has positives and negatives. If you drive around in the heat of summer, sitting at stop lights with the sun beating on you, you'll probably end up wanting a safari top for some shade....in which case, the trektop is already a safari top.

Personally, in all my years with a Jeep, I've always put a safari top on when my top is off, so the trektop was a no brainer for me. Plus, no bow hardware to remove/install when the hard top goes on for Winter or comes off in the Spring. Since it has the sunrider feature, it's pretty much the best of both worlds. Since there's no top folded up in the already small "trunk" area, you also gain valuable storage space with the trektop.

As for install, any of them are super easy, no special skills or tools needed. Do it yourself, because as was stated earlier, you'll need to know how to install/remove at the end of Summer or in the Spring when you swap tops.
Thanks a million...You're making me braver. I may just install this puppy myself. The best top instructions are definitely better than Mopar's. I'm just not very handy, so it will probably take me an entire day. The dealer quoted me $399.00 to install the mopar top, so I'm sure it will be the same for the best top.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Installed the bestop super top nx about a month ago. I really love the sunroof option (esprcially here in ohio where a rain storm can pop up without any warning). I prefered the "squared" off back versus the regularNX sloped back. The material is thick and durable but sill pliable enough to fold it down when folding the top all the way down. The only draw back (and this is minor in my opinion) is that puttung the top back up from the "completly down" position, the sun roof poles are a little "wobbly" so it's easier with 2 people.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Super top nx Great top. Instuctions suck. But many threads on how to install. with pics.
Make sure it is warm out 70 or above,

I have a spiderweb shade under mine. Very thin hair. works great love them both
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do not what to go fully topless get the trek for that hummer look. Its the same feeling as taking off the two front panels from the hard top with a lot more noise. If you want that fun in the sun get a mopar or similar top. My friend is selling his in NJ and he can install it for you as long as you come topless.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Soft top installation is easy even for a newbie. The hard part is strapping it all down the first time. The secret is to do it on a hot sunny day and let the top warm up and stretch.

If you were closer to me I'd sell you my soft top (if you wanted it) and help you install it.

Be sure to get the brackets that mount to the rear roll bar and the clips that go on either side of the rear gate.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered the Super Top NX!!! Should be coming in a few days...thanks again for all your replies. You guys, and this forum, rock!!! I'm going to go ahead and put it up myself...wish me well!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

If i were close i would install it for you free of charge.

Quick Reply: Buying a new soft top! Help me decide please...