Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Buying a new soft top! Help me decide please...

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new soft top! Help me decide please...

So the wife agrees, we're getting a new soft top (my '10 sport jku has a hard top only). Being that i'm not very handy , I will probably pay to have the dealer install it (I'm a wuss....I know). Questions:

1. Should I get the Mopar soft top? Is it the best? It's certainly more expensive than the best top, but is it better?

2. Should I get the Best Top version? It looks basically the same, but is it just as good as the
Mopar factory?

3. If I buy the Best Top, would the dealer install (not a Mopar)?

I checked the forums, but mostly saw soft tops for sale. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just upgraded to the Trektop from bestop. Do long as you have the muscle to move and store your hard top, the install requires little know how or tools.

I can't speak for the traditional soft tops as far as quality, but I'm pretty satisfied with mine.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Bump...thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bestop, Trektop NX. It's made with oem materials, no bow system to mess with and it looks awesome. Call David at Northridge 4x4 for the hookup. I've had mine on for a week and it is quieter than my factory soft top.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trektop here too. Love the look and the ease of use. Oh yah...and the cost
Old 04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a nice weekend, travel to North Carolina and buy my 2009 soft top. It's in great shape! never leaked. $400. Then you can visit Corolla or Carolina beach on your way back and drive on the beaches with the top down. I"ll install it for you in 10 minutes. for free!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

I am looking to get a soft top....so it sounds like the trektop is better from your opinon
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy the Bestop Supertop NX. It is almost a replica to the current OEM soft top. Bestop makes the MOPAR soft top for Chrysler. The Supertop NX has the new cable style attachment like the new OEM tops. This is a much better design over the earlier tops. I had an 07 with a soft top and it leaked really bad. My 2012 OEM top is dry as can be. I would personally stay away from the 2007 - 2010 soft tops. Not to mention, the Supertop NX is cheaper than the MOPAR top and they are almost identical and made by the same company. Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks...that helps a lot. I have been looking and investigating and I appreciate the major input
Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't over think the install. It's pretty straight forward. There are plenty of install videos online. Chrysler/Jeep even has an install and removal video on their website. If you ever plan on taking the top off or folding it down you will be repeating most of the instalation steps anyway. You will spend more time driving to the dealer and signing in than it will take you to read the instructions, watch a video, and install the actual top.

Quick Reply: Buying a new soft top! Help me decide please...