Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Burning smell when accelerating hard

Old 10-03-2020, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Still haven't mentioned yet if you've checked the actual pullies the belt is riding on. I know it's an obvious question and you probably have, but left wondering.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. Saving a ton of gas.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alloteric
nope! Replaced my belts. Checked my cat. Checked seals around doors.

I’ve just been driving like a grandpa while I nail down the cause.
Any updates since last year? I just bought a JK two months ago and I’m having the exact same issues. Changing the belt today but now wondering if that’ll help or not. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2021, 01:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sven5
Any updates since last year? I just bought a JK two months ago and I’m having the exact same issues. Changing the belt today but now wondering if that’ll help or not. Thanks!
Not here, still drive like a granny. No problems at all though, so pretty sure it is not a belt. Has to be Cat problem
Old 04-29-2021, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scary
Not here, still drive like a granny. No problems at all though, so pretty sure it is not a belt. Has to be Cat problem
I read on a separate forum thread that someone thinks it is the foam under the engine cover that is burning. I took that off yesterday and so far I have not had the smell when I’m up around 5000rpms. I’ll update if that changes at all within the next week that I’m driving
The following users liked this post:
scary (04-29-2021)
Old 07-10-2022, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same issues please help if you can.

I have a 2018 JKU with 26,000 miles, and I’m having the same smelling problem but only when I go up hills and have to press the gas to keep it at the posted speed limit (45mph). I’m the original owner and I baby the crap out of it, never going above 65 (as anything above 65 just eats the gas, especially when I lived in Montana with speed limits reaching 80mph, people hated being behind me as I’m chugging along at 65.) I have had issues with the computer in my transmission messing up and after an hour of driving, when I stop, my vehicle wouldn’t start again until around 30mins to an hour of waiting around, they completely replaced it. I’ve had my breaks and calibers checked no issues besides a gouge probably from a rock getting stuck in it, I recently (beginning the first of the year added spidertrax wheel spacers to go from JK studs to JL studs for my JL rubicon wheels). I took it in once for the same issue as well as my Jeep going into limp mode going up the same hill but in winter with slippery roads, I just reprogrammed my computer to make it 33s instead of factory 31s (I believe) and it seemed to help a lot with the sluggish feel in my accelerator. When I took it in they informed me my back passenger tire locked up when they turned a corner to take it to the bay to look at it, they tested the differential and found no metal in it, and said it should be fine. I’m at a lost and the Jeep dealership I’m going to pretty much hates that I’m still under warranty, and told me I was covered for some issues I was having with my tailgate not locking and unlocking with the fob saying “fortunately for you, but unfortunately for us you are still under warranty” so they obviously would rather not work on my Jeep since I didn’t buy it from them. The burnt smell happened today and it was pretty bad, but my rear window was rolled up and all my door windows were rolled down, it honestly doesn’t smell like exhaust but I’m no mechanic. I’m in desperate need of an answer so I can fix it before it gets worse. Sorry for my super long post but I’m trying to figure this out and give people as much information as I can. I love my Jeep “Freedom/Oscar Mike Edition“ especially since I was in the military and 100% disabled veteran, I love the history of this Jeep only being for sale overseas to military personnel. Unfortunately I guess Jeep/Fiat wasn’t making enough money and started selling it state side (where I bought mine/so I guess I was fortunate, but it was a really cool idea to offer a Jeep to military stationed overseas in a combat zone plus no taxes). I don’t want it to burn to the ground or cause damage that makes it unfixable, probably not going to happen but this is my dream vehicle from childhood and probably couldn’t get another loan to buy it again. Please HELP!!!!

Last edited by Roger T Bannon; 07-10-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:40 AM
JK Newbie

Nice jeep. I still haven’t figured it out.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:08 PM
RwH
JK Newbie

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a thought, but when my front driveshaft cv joint let go, it shredded the rubber and flung pieces of rubber and grease al over the exhaust, causing it to smoke and smelled kind of like that described in this thread.

Last edited by RwH; 07-11-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scary
Nice jeep. I still haven’t figured it out.
thanks it’s a work in progress, it’s so frustrating not to be able to figure this stuff out, I’d love to be able to take a Jeep mechanic out and show them what I mean but I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RwH
Just a thought, but when my front driveshaft cv joint let go, it shredded the rubber and flung pieces of rubber and grease al over the exhaust, causing it to smoke and smelled kind of like that described in this thread.
yeah I’m slowly taking it in and getting things checked out, hopefully one day I’ll be correct and fix the problem, as it sure doesn’t seem like Jeep cares one way or the other. My 4hi on the fly pops out occasionally and I’ve mentioned that but have no clue if they actually looked into that problem or not. Don’t know if worn out gears can cause that smell, but it’s never fun to be driving and all of a sudden it just pops out and hearing those gears grinding. I took it in recently because my back window wouldn’t roll down anymore, and after that appointment I took the doors off and did my bi-yearly sand and lube of the door hinges, only to find out the mechanic that worked on it apparently just pushed the tab down and pulled as hard as he could breaking the tabs off the piece that mounts inside. Of course no one told me they broke that piece off, and probably would have never told me. F Jeep mechanics, I know it’s their job to just rush and get as many appointments done as possible, but it’s so frustrating when they break something and just shrug it off. 🤬

Quick Reply: Burning smell when accelerating hard