Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Burning smell when accelerating hard

Old 09-11-2020, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burning smell when accelerating hard

I just bought my first jeep with 109k miles (2014 JK) and I'm trying to make it last as long as possible.

To aid in that, so far, I've flushed the radiator and heater core (which was plugged up and not allowing hot air in the cabin), flushed the brakes, Flushed the power steering fluid, dropped the tranny pan and swapped the fluid+filter, and changed the oil. (any other maintenance suggestions are appreciated)

When I bought the Jeep I noticed it has a burning smell after getting on the highway and accelerating hard. I had a similar problem in an old Pontiac, where a radiator flush fixed the problem. unfortunately I've done that now on the Jeep and the problem persists.

Has anyone dealt with this? I just want this Jeep to last a while longer and burning smells don't bode well.

TIA for any input
Old 09-11-2020, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Since you're hitting everything for a fresh start, I'd change gear oil in both diffs, and change the ATF in the transfer case. with ~110k miles on it, it's a guess if those spark plugs were changed or not. On the 3.6L it's a bit more cumbersome than spark plugs usually are as you have to remove the intake to get to the driver's side.

As far as burning smell, no good guess what it smells like? Doesn't sound like coolant as you would easily be able to determine that smell. Coming from engine bay I presume.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Since you're hitting everything for a fresh start, I'd change gear oil in both diffs, and change the ATF in the transfer case. with ~110k miles on it, it's a guess if those spark plugs were changed or not. On the 3.6L it's a bit more cumbersome than spark plugs usually are as you have to remove the intake to get to the driver's side.

As far as burning smell, no good guess what it smells like? Doesn't sound like coolant as you would easily be able to determine that smell. Coming from engine bay I presume.
I’ll add those to the list. Hopefully I can do them myself.

And as for the smell, I’d say it’s almost like burnt rubber maybe? it’s decently strong.

it’s not coming from the vents so I’d assume it’s from the bay.

It doesn’t really smell like burnt oil or carpet or anything. I’ve checked my brake calipers to see if I have a dragging brake and that’s not it either

Last edited by Alloteric; 09-11-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Is it only when you get on the throttle hard?

2 thoughts,
1st is the serpentine belt is slipping giving giving a burnt rubber smell - check belt is tight and not cracked, hard.
2nd I had a TJ that the catalytic converter would be overwhelmed under hard acceleration, but that was more of a rotten egg smell.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeff Pillsworth
Is it only when you get on the throttle hard?

2 thoughts,
1st is the serpentine belt is slipping giving giving a burnt rubber smell - check belt is tight and not cracked, hard.
2nd I had a TJ that the catalytic converter would be overwhelmed under hard acceleration, but that was more of a rotten egg smell.
yeah, exclusively. I’ll check it out. Any suggestions on brand of replacement should I need one or is that another mopar or none kind of part?

and I thought of that but it’s not eggy at all. Ever find a fix for the TJ?
Old 09-18-2020, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I'll add some info I found out.

the smell is definitely a burnt rubber smell
it only happens when RPM's spike past 4000
serpentine belt looks good to me but I'm no mechanic so maybe I don't know what to look for...
Old 09-18-2020, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Have you released tension on the belt and released it from the pullies, giving each pulley a spin to see if good or shot? That's what I'd do. There's not a whole lot in the engine that is rubber and which would create a smell under higher RPMs only. I'd think one of those pullies might be shot and the belt is slipping by it. Seems like the most logical thing at least. I'd be surprised though if that was it that it wasn't making a noise.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Are you sure it is not the rear door seal leaking the exhaust back through like mine does under hard acceleration or maintaining highway speed on steeper hills. And it stinks quite a bit too like burnt rubber. I run aftermarket Cats as well.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Did you find a resolution? I have the same issue with ~113k
Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scary
Did you find a resolution? I have the same issue with ~113k
nope! Replaced my belts. Checked my cat. Checked seals around doors.

I’ve just been driving like a grandpa while I nail down the cause.

Quick Reply: Burning smell when accelerating hard