Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

burned blower connector

Old 06-28-2021, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burned blower connector

My Daughter-in-laws 2016 is having the typical blower motor problems. The motor seems to be intermittent and I can make it start and stop by messing with the wires... obvious problem. Also, when the blower is set for high, the wire gets HOT. (of course, look at the connector)

I've seen comments that say they have soldered directly to the resistor pack. My thinking is to remove the connector and put standard spade connectors on the wires and connect to the resistor pack that way. Any issue with this approach?

Couple of other questions... Is there supposed to be a trim panel under the dash to guard these wires and other components under there? I can easily see where this got damaged from being kicked many times over the life of the jeep.

Should I replace the resistor pack? Is a bad resistor pack why the wire gets so hot? Or is the blower motor drawing too much? (so it needs to be replaced)

By the way, it seems like if I run the blower at half speed or lower, it doesn't overheat the wire.

Thanks.

(Not a Jeep guy, so take it easy on the JK knowlegdeable lingo. )

Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 205 Likes on 185 Posts

Doubt the blower is drawing to much current, or that the resistor pack is faulty. Most likely is that the connector developed excess resistance at that one blade, which caused it to overheat. Probably from corrosion, being assembled dirty, or a manufacturing defect. Mopar connectors are available online, but you can roll your own too.

It happens on a lot of cars, usually higher current connectors like the blower or head lights.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:54 AM
JK Newbie

ok, thanks...
Old 11-10-2021, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Part number please

Originally Posted by stecz
My Daughter-in-laws 2016 is having the typical blower motor problems. The motor seems to be intermittent and I can make it start and stop by messing with the wires... obvious problem. Also, when the blower is set for high, the wire gets HOT. (of course, look at the connector)

I've seen comments that say they have soldered directly to the resistor pack. My thinking is to remove the connector and put standard spade connectors on the wires and connect to the resistor pack that way. Any issue with this approach?

Couple of other questions... Is there supposed to be a trim panel under the dash to guard these wires and other components under there? I can easily see where this got damaged from being kicked many times over the life of the jeep.

Should I replace the resistor pack? Is a bad resistor pack why the wire gets so hot? Or is the blower motor drawing too much? (so it needs to be replaced)

By the way, it seems like if I run the blower at half speed or lower, it doesn't overheat the wire.

Thanks.

Can you please tell me where to get the replacement connector and part number? I can’t find it anywhere.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up not replacing the connector (for now). I just cleaned everything up really good with terminal cleaner spray and used some dielectric grease to keep it from corroding and it's been working fine since.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

I ended up not replacing the connector (for now). I just cleaned everything up really good with terminal cleaner spray and used some dielectric grease to keep it from corroding and it's been working fine since.
I had to cut mine out it was too burnt. - Maybe someone else can help
Old 03-19-2022, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Part?

Thanks.

I had to cut mine as well. Anyone have any luck with part number or where to find this connectors? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Janelsn2
I had to cut mine as well. Anyone have any luck with part number or where to find this connectors? Thanks.

I know this is an old post but if anyone else has this issue with the burnt connector I found this site that sold the connector I needed.

https://hdconnectorstore.com/productdetail/5838.html

may take a while to come in but man was it a lifesaver! Now to figure out why the blower motor keeps turning off even after replacing the blower motor and connector.

Quick Reply: burned blower connector