Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Build sheet says 4.10 gearing but...

Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Regarding 1, 2, 10, etc, tire rotations when checking gear ratio...

If you lift one front tire off the ground, you will have to rotate the tire 2 complete rotations while counting drive shaft rotations. The drive shaft rotation number will be your gear ratio. Why 2 turns of the tire? Because of the spider gears in the differential, the ring gear will rotate half the speed.

If you lift both tires on the axle off the ground, each tire will have to be rotated 1 turn. This will be much harder to get an exact gear ratio because now you will have to keep track of the drive shaft, and both tires.

The jacking one tire method is very easy to do.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me! Factory ordered 12' rubicon, told them make sure it has 4:10, I was assured it did. Fast forward almost 4 years later, got a RIPP SC installed at RIPP headquarters and when they tuned it the Diablo was saying 3:73, I told them no way it has 4:10, so they tuned it for 4:10. Didn't run right would get hung up in 3rd gear so RIPP said come back in a week so we can figure out the issue, they did some VIN decoding and long behold I have 3:73. Initially I was sooo pissed but at this point I already made up my mind I was going to 37s in a month and regearing to 4:88. If I wasn't re-gearing anyway I would make a huge stink. Don't think anything would have been accomplished if I did.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Regarding 1, 2, 10, etc, tire rotations when checking gear ratio...

If you lift one front tire off the ground, you will have to rotate the tire 2 complete rotations while counting drive shaft rotations. The drive shaft rotation number will be your gear ratio. Why 2 turns of the tire? Because of the spider gears in the differential, the ring gear will rotate half the speed.

If you lift both tires on the axle off the ground, each tire will have to be rotated 1 turn. This will be much harder to get an exact gear ratio because now you will have to keep track of the drive shaft, and both tires.

The jacking one tire method is very easy to do.
Both tires were off the ground, evenly rotated by one person and drive shaft rotation was counted by both me and one of the other techs. Drive shaft rotated about 3.75 times.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riznoy
Same thing happened to me! Factory ordered 12' rubicon, told them make sure it has 4:10, I was assured it did. Fast forward almost 4 years later, got a RIPP SC installed at RIPP headquarters and when they tuned it the Diablo was saying 3:73, I told them no way it has 4:10, so they tuned it for 4:10. Didn't run right would get hung up in 3rd gear so RIPP said come back in a week so we can figure out the issue, they did some VIN decoding and long behold I have 3:73. Initially I was sooo pissed but at this point I already made up my mind I was going to 37s in a month and regearing to 4:88. If I wasn't re-gearing anyway I would make a huge stink. Don't think anything would have been accomplished if I did.
That sounds like an ordering problem and an issue with the dealer, unfortunately your vin actually showed the gears that were in it. My vin comes back 4.10 and I honestly hope that that is what is in the diffs, it would save me a headache.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your right I have no clue about your situation. The problem I have is your going to come on here and bitch about the company that makes Jeep. I have a problem with that. So many companies have sold out their brand to accommodate soccer moms and Grandpa. And your going to come on a forum where Jeep enthusiast are.

Sorry your barking up the wrong tree... I don't care what you do for a living but, your telling me you or the company you work for has never made a mistake? Humans and Robots make mistakes. Give them the opportunity to fix it if its a problem. Don't come on here and act like your the only one that has built your Jeep. You and Everyone else on here has put countless hours of wrench time on their Jeeps.

Putting the wrong gears in a Jeep is not going to get anyone killed like defective airbags.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Your right I have no clue about your situation. The problem I have is your going to come on here and bitch about the company that makes Jeep. I have a problem with that. So many companies have sold out their brand to accommodate soccer moms and Grandpa. And your going to come on a forum where Jeep enthusiast are.

Sorry your barking up the wrong tree... I don't care what you do for a living but, your telling me you or the company you work for has never made a mistake? Humans and Robots make mistakes. Give them the opportunity to fix it if its a problem. Don't come on here and act like your the only one that has built your Jeep. You and Everyone else on here has put countless hours of wrench time on their Jeeps.

Putting the wrong gears in a Jeep is not going to get anyone killed like defective airbags.
We are just going to have to disagree on this, you have yourself a wonderful evening and please refrain from posting any more negative comments on this thread.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Once you come back with the facts from the shop. We would all like to hear about it. If it is true please file a complaint with consumer reports.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cowboy5150
I have searched the internet over the last few days about this and cannot find anything about it so here goes. I bought my 2door Rubicon new in 2012, it had been ordered by someone who ended up having finance problems. it is a '12 2 door Rubicon automatic. Build sheet and window sticker say it has 4.10 gearing. While it was on the lift at the transmission shop I had them check the gearing (I've been suspicious since I bought it and even more after lift and 34's) One rotation of the tires only makes the drive shaft rotate 3 3/4 ish times. (3.73 gearing) I know for a fact that the diff covers have not been off since I have owned it. Has anyone had this issue or heard of anyone that has? I can't find anything on it anywhere. I do have an appointment to have a shop pull the covers on video and point out the gear ratio stamp/ part number (as well as the "witness marks" that the factory puts on) then count the teeth. I'm having 4Wheel Parts do it 1. Because I know the crew and trust them and 2. Because they are a "reputable" shop and well known. (that and the dealer wanted to charge me $180 to do it) If my Rubicon in fact has 4.10 gears, great, we screwed up on the wheel spin test, I'm ok with that. If it has 3.73 gearing(I will update next Thursday after my appointment) I'd suggest that everyone that reads this that has a stock Rubicon automatic ordered with 4.10 gears have yours checked. Finding 3.73 gears in my Jeep is going to spur a lawsuit for sure, no matter how they handle it, because if mine is wrong, how many others out there are wrong. I think the only thing that would delay a lawsuit would be Chrysler corp issuing a TSB to every 4.10 ordered automatic Rubicon they have sold. I know, long post for someone who has been lurking for a long while, and I hope that I am wrong about the gearing being different than what was advertised.
If it truly has 3.73's in the end i would assume they would have zero problem changing them. It can happen just by dana miss marking a axle. I would shocked if they would not quickly make it right.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

We are just going to have to disagree on this, you have yourself a wonderful evening and please refrain from posting any more negative comments on this thread.
i agree with jon. If they have done you so bad then sell you jeep and move on. We all knew buying our jeeps they have quality issues etc. you are all up in a tizzy cuz you "think" Dana made a mistake. That is the funny part! It would be Dana's mistake for tagging the axle wrong not jeep. They get them as a sub assembly and have zero way of checking all 1200 axles a day. Sorry you dont even know who to be pissed at for you "imaginary" problem at this point.

P.s. If you do nit want negative replies wait to slam the wrong company till you actually have a problem.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by busa250
It would be Dana's mistake for tagging the axle wrong not jeep. They get them as a sub assembly and have zero way of checking all 1200 axles a day. Sorry you dont even know who to be pissed at for you "imaginary" problem at this point.
I don't think that when the day started at the plant. The workers or the company set out in the mindset of
swindling it's customers
They are a huge corporation and want things to go as smooth as possible. Just like the ticking head issue, They did not set out for it to happen. The recall for the head cost them millions of dollars in after production parts and labor. It was a manufacturing/assembly problem people and machines/robots make mistakes. Yes you have a right to be pissed and I'm sorry if I came off as a Jerk but your posts read like your going to go on CNN and conduct a press conference over what could have been a number of things including.

1. Misprint of the build sheet at the plant.

2. Someone at Dana put the wrong Barcode tag on an axle

3. The Robot Scanned in the wrong Axle for that Jeep

3. The worker at the Assembly line misread the tag on the Axle

4. The QC guy was preoccupied and missed it "He's going through a Divorce" "Found out his best friend died" etc.....

The point is we don't know what happened or if its even wrong to start. So before you go making accusations please come up with the facts. But we do appreciate you sharing your concerns about your purchase. I really think if there is a problem they are going to make it right. Lawsuits are expensive and I'm sure they don't want the negative publicity. Especially over a set of gears that cost them maybe $400.

Quick Reply: Build sheet says 4.10 gearing but...