Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Build sheet says 4.10 gearing but...

Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Build sheet says 4.10 gearing but...

I have searched the internet over the last few days about this and cannot find anything about it so here goes.
I bought my 2door Rubicon new in 2012, it had been ordered by someone who ended up having finance problems. it is a '12 2 door Rubicon automatic.
Build sheet and window sticker say it has 4.10 gearing.
While it was on the lift at the transmission shop I had them check the gearing (I've been suspicious since I bought it and even more after lift and 34's)
One rotation of the tires only makes the drive shaft rotate 3 3/4 ish times. (3.73 gearing) I know for a fact that the diff covers have not been off since I have owned it.
Has anyone had this issue or heard of anyone that has? I can't find anything on it anywhere.

I do have an appointment to have a shop pull the covers on video and point out the gear ratio stamp/ part number (as well as the "witness marks" that the factory puts on) then count the teeth. I'm having 4Wheel Parts do it 1. Because I know the crew and trust them and 2. Because they are a "reputable" shop and well known. (that and the dealer wanted to charge me $180 to do it)
If my Rubicon in fact has 4.10 gears, great, we screwed up on the wheel spin test, I'm ok with that.
If it has 3.73 gearing(I will update next Thursday after my appointment) I'd suggest that everyone that reads this that has a stock Rubicon automatic ordered with 4.10 gears have yours checked.
Finding 3.73 gears in my Jeep is going to spur a lawsuit for sure, no matter how they handle it, because if mine is wrong, how many others out there are wrong.

I think the only thing that would delay a lawsuit would be Chrysler corp issuing a TSB to every 4.10 ordered automatic Rubicon they have sold.

I know, long post for someone who has been lurking for a long while, and I hope that I am wrong about the gearing being different than what was advertised.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i can understand you being irritated but a law suit right off the bat is a bit much. just document it and if you do have the wrong gears give them a chance to correct the issue before you shit on them.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is back story behind my disdain for Chrysler Corp. Mainly the complete engine replacement at 11k after the dealer screwed up on a service. I fought with the corporate office for three months while my jeep sat in the shop.
The lawsuit I referenced would be to detect and correct the problem (if in fact it is a problem) on every Wrangler Rubicon that left the factory with an automatic transmission and 4.10 gear ratio on the build sheet. I'm not looking for money out of this, I'm looking to make it right for everyone out there that may have this issue. If it is a far reaching issue, than it will be a class action suit more than likely addressing false advertising.
If the gears in my Jeep are not the ones that are supposed to be there, they will change them for the correct gears, that is guaranteed at the very least. Any more than that is me looking out for my fellow Jeep owners. Well, that and giving Chrysler Corp a big F-U for either swindling it's customers (again this is if it is more than just my Jeep), or not having their QC up to par.

Think about how many heads had to be replaced on the 3.6L engines because of QC (mine included), Clock Springs, Electronic disconnect motors, Power Steering lines, heated mirrors etc.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Pretty sure you have to rotate the tire two revolutions while counting the drive shaft revolutions to determine the gear ratio.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Pretty sure you have to rotate the tire two revolutions while counting the drive shaft revolutions to determine the gear ratio.
Some say once is fine, some say 2 or 3 times and others say 10, only way to be sure is to pull the diff cover and check the stamp/count the teeth which is exactly what I'm doing next week. If my back/hip weren't so jacked up I'd have done it already.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't like the company why don't you Just go buy a Foreign Vehicle and be done with it. You sound like a dam kid crying about not getting his fries in his happy meal. People at plants make mistakes. I'v bought stuff from amazon that was not exactly what was pictured. Did I go off the handle and file a lawsuit? No. Here is the thing people are more likely to fix your problem if you are professional and respectful. If your an asshole well.... I personally would go the extra mile to make your claim more difficult.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Be careful how you read the build sheet. I ordered mine with the 3.73. The build sheet had the number 3.21 on it somewhere, but then in another place it said Max Tow with 3.73. So, are you 100% sure yours was ordered to be 4:10. The 3.73 was an option on the rubicon in 2012.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Seat of your pants

This response is totally non-scientific and based of a "feeling" in the seat of my pants.

I had a 2012, Sahara JKU with Auto and the max tow package. It came with 3.73 R&P gears. During de-acceleration, it felt smooth right up to the point of stopping. And, I always got 20+ mpg.

In December of 2014, I traded in the Sahara of a 2015 JKU Rubicon Auto with 4.10 R&P gears. During de-acceleration, especially below 10mph, there is a noticeable "drag" feeling in the transmission as the JKU comes to a stop. When I questioned my local dealer, the service manager said it was a characteristic of the 4.10 gearing. He took me out in two other new JKUR's and they both did the same thing. At 8K miles, I can still feel it as I slow to a stop. Plus my mpg is not too good, around 18 mpg average. Do you feel the low speed "drag" during stopping process? DF
Old 04-22-2016, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
If you don't like the company why don't you Just go buy a Foreign Vehicle and be done with it. You sound like a dam kid crying about not getting his fries in his happy meal. People at plants make mistakes. I'v bought stuff from amazon that was not exactly what was pictured. Did I go off the handle and file a lawsuit? No. Here is the thing people are more likely to fix your problem if you are professional and respectful. If your an asshole well.... I personally would go the extra mile to make your claim more difficult.
And you sound like a presumptuous prick, I love my Jeep, I have put a lot of work into making it mine. I completely understand that people make mistakes but this is not the first issue I have personally had with Chrysler corp, and it is not the first issue Chrysler corp has had with QC or with using incorrect/sub standard parts. If the people that were injured in the Toyota wrecks due to gas peddle problems just chocked it up to someone making a mistake many more people would have died, If the makers of Takata airbags were not called on their problems, there wouldn't be a huge recall on their product. I'm not doing this because I didn't get my "fries" as you said. I did this because I'm tired of customers getting screwed over by manufacturers. If you spend $36k on a vehicle, it should come with all the correct equipment. If one thing is wrong, and they correct it as they should great, no harm no fowl. Now, if 1000 people go out and spend $36k on a vehicle and that same something that was paid for is not delivered that is called negligent business practice and false advertising. If mine is wrong, how many others on the road are wrong as well.
Now, if you want to come on a thread that I started and insult me you need to grow the hell up. Nowhere have I stated that I have been an asshole to either the good folks at the dealership (who are all behind me on this by the way), nor have I been an asshole to anyone at Chrysler. Fact of the matter is, you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to my situation or my dealings with Chrysler so either ask the questions you have or bugger off plain and simple.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Be careful how you read the build sheet. I ordered mine with the 3.73. The build sheet had the number 3.21 on it somewhere, but then in another place it said Max Tow with 3.73. So, are you 100% sure yours was ordered to be 4:10. The 3.73 was an option on the rubicon in 2012.
Build sheet and window sticker both say 4.10 gearing, Dealership says it should have 4.10 gearing, pulling the cover and checking is going to tell the tale. Thank you for the advise though.

Quick Reply: Build sheet says 4.10 gearing but...