Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bugs on Windshield

Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yra
I bought a squeegee and just put cleaning the windshield into my daily ritual. You can't do nothin about it but accept it.
Same here have a squeegee and a pail of water with a little dishsoap in my carpport and do it as it needs it!!Gi
Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I haven't tried them but there are wind-deflectors that mount on the forward edge of the hood that supposedly cut down on bug splat, etc.

Mopar makes one, I am sure others exist.
I had one of those on my TJ, didn't help much.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi

I have the ScrubBlade wipes off the dead bodies easily. David at Alpha Expedition sells them he is a sponsor here, there is also a thread in the sponsor section on these.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rain-X makes a foam cleaner/ rapellent that works really well to clean the windshield. I keep the can in the back with a Shamwow. works for me. I will be looking more into those wipers though.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by db99wj
Flat surface with no aerodynamics. I swear I got a bug splatter on my windshield the other day and I wasn't even moving.

Wash and wash a lot. Might have to try some the above products though.
x2 A bug deflector would probably help, but I haven't seen one that looks decent on a JK.

Prestone bugwash works pretty well for me and I make sure I clean the windshield when I fill up. Its only really an issue for me on road trips. I get pissed when I get gas somewhere that doesn't have water/paper towels out.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by abock33
Rain-X makes a foam cleaner/ rapellent that works really well to clean the windshield. I keep the can in the back with a Shamwow. works for me. I will be looking more into those wipers though.
I bumped them to the top for you guys
Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I haven't tried them but there are wind-deflectors that mount on the forward edge of the hood that supposedly cut down on bug splat, etc.

Mopar makes one, I am sure others exist.
I would definitely avoid those things. I had one on my Silverado and it caused wind tubulance that eventually cracked my windhsield. Sounds crazy, but it's true. At 70 MPH or so, I would get a horrible vibrating. When I took it to the dealer to get it fixed he told me to remove the bug deflector and sure enough, it went away.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rain-X on my windshield and use Rain-X fluid in my washers.. It seems to help a lot, but I do go through a fair amount of fluid.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

After the Windshield Massacre, I use:

Stoner Invisible Glass (Link)

Works like a charm!

When I'm on a Road-Trip in the middle of nowhere, I use the Armorall Glass Cleaner Wipes that I keep in the trunk. Always a good idea to keep some available. I've seen some of these gas stations, that have muddy water in the Washer Reservoir, when you go to clean your windshields. NASTY!!!

Cheers!

BB
Old 09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default dried sun-baked bugs

really baked-on bugs can be removed easily with a NEW single-edged razor blade. After scraping the residue will wash right off with any Windex-style cleaner.....

Quick Reply: Bugs on Windshield