Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bug guards! Worth it?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw these in another post

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are more for Hummer owners. Maybe you need one of those.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
They are more for Hummer owners. Maybe you need one of those.
That's more like it. Not like that other post in another thread. What was up with that?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

I got one. AVS is the brand. I was hoping to eliminate stone chips on the leading edge of the hood more than anything. I haven't noticed any decrease in bugs on the windshield.

I got mine at the local Auto Supermarket. I paid ~ $40 on sale. As with anything, do what you want; it's your $$.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Red Rubicon
I got one. AVS is the brand. I was hoping to eliminate stone chips on the leading edge of the hood more than anything. I haven't noticed any decrease in bugs on the windshield.

I got mine at the local Auto Supermarket. I paid ~ $40 on sale. As with anything, do what you want; it's your $$.
Eliminate stone chips I guess you dont go off road much!

On a more serious note, he is right, as much as some of us dont like it, its your money and your Jeep. If you like it, get it.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrt
That's more like it. Not like that other post in another thread. What was up with that?
Well...the troops WERE involved.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Well...the troops WERE involved.
Is there a thread hijacking in the making???

I had a bug shield on my 84 CJ. It was a 4" high 32" across flat piece of black plastic something or other that screwed into the hood. It was ugly, but it worked great and had to climb up to scrub bugs much less often. It seems the shields in the pics above do not have a high enough lip.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just throwing this out there but has anyone ever considered using a clear plastic stick-on thing for the windshield if you guys hae that bad of bugs on the windshield, kidna like nascar i guess, clear it with the wipers all you want, but when it gets too bad, just peel it off. just an idea? right some bug deflectors work and some don't, to each their own, i think it looks good on some JK's
Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I just don't care for the looks of the bug deflectors, but if you want one, go for it. Most of the time I'm in the city, so I don't get *that* many bugs to begin with, though the highway is a different story.

Not sure how much one of those deflectors would really help with stones, especially with the JK's flat windshield. I have the 3M clear rock guard stuff on my JK and I think it's probably your best bet as far as stones go...for the bugs I just use a squeegee
Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
just throwing this out there but has anyone ever considered using a clear plastic stick-on thing for the windshield if you guys hae that bad of bugs on the windshield, kidna like nascar i guess, clear it with the wipers all you want, but when it gets too bad, just peel it off. just an idea? right some bug deflectors work and some don't, to each their own, i think it looks good on some JK's
Neat idea, though sadly something like that would probably cost more than it would be worth

Quick Reply: Bug guards! Worth it?