Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broken Steering Bracket!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Steering Bracket!

So I am leaving work today, and upon making a left hand turn I hear a "ping" and the jeep begins to shake like an epileptic in a bouncy house. Once I get to a stop on the side of the road, I discover that the bracket on my front axle to which the steering arm and stabilizer connect has completely sheared off! All three welds have failed. I have a two inch lift with relocation bracket installed to the steering bracket and a skyjacker steering dampner on it as well. Has anyone else seen this, heard of this or is otherwise informed? Two off-road stores and the dealer said they have NEVER seen this before. Plus, the shop is afraid to weld the bracket back on since it may be delaminated or the axle cover may be damaged as well. Any suggestions ideas or information would be greatly appreciated. (Could this bracket be welded back? How about using an aftermarket "brace" ? or should I just suck it up and replace the axle?

Dan

Last edited by MonkeyBoy; 08-04-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Broken Steering Bracket!