Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broke some kind of box under my Jeep

Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fish
no problem running without it ,you will get the check engine light coming on probably.
yeah, it's no big deal and yes, your dash will first display a GASCAP message in the odometer. if you don't fix it after a while, you will get the check engine light to come on but that's it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you can drive without it, you'll probably get an engine light and maybe a gas cap light....you also may have trouble filling with gas because it may shut the pump off a lot, just have to pump really slow

it captures the gas fumes when filling the gas tank, its part of the engine emissions system....

there is different canisters for 18.6 tank and the unlimiteds 23 gallon. moparpartsamerica.com has the 18.6 one for 28 bucks, the 23 one for 35. Look under 2007 wrangler, it doesnt come up under 08, but its the same part, its under emission system.

check out this write up on how to relocate it up and out of the way
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/evap-relocation-my-version-77226/
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might as well go ahead and relocate it now. Woods or rockhard have the kits to do it.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Here's info on a great preventative measure:

Woods Evaporative Relocation Kit

Brett Woods is a good guy--and a forum sponsor.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can relocate it. Or if you really don't want to there are a couple of nice skid plates available for it right where it is. I just got done installing a Rockhard skid on mine. Right at 100 bucks. It's very stout and will hold up the entire rear end of the jeep. If it was in the middle, it would pick up the whole thing. A bit more expensive than relocating it, but there have been a few who've had problems with check engine lights after relocating....for whatever reason. Plus, dealers will not have a reason to try to squirm out from a warranty issue if it's in the stock location. You do have more than one option.

Quick Reply: Broke some kind of box under my Jeep