Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

brakes

Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes

I have a 07 4dr. sahara unlimited with 48.000 km, brought it in for oil change and tire rotation, told I have 20% left on rear brakes, front brakes fine, always thought that front brakes wore out first, told this is common on wranglers, dealer want $550.00 just to change back pads and rotars, any good aftermarket parts, any comments would be appreciated, thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Don't give your money to the stealership! Do it yourself and save $500. The rotors are probably fine, may need to be "turned", but a local shop could do that for $10-$15 each. New pads should be under $50 and are EASY to replace. Just take off two bolts, flip the caliper over, remove the old pads, put in the new pads and reattach the caliper.
Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by razor52
I have a 07 4dr. sahara unlimited with 48.000 km, brought it in for oil change and tire rotation, told I have 20% left on rear brakes, front brakes fine, always thought that front brakes wore out first, told this is common on wranglers, dealer want $550.00 just to change back pads and rotars, any good aftermarket parts, any comments would be appreciated, thanks

Do it yourself my friend!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with Hawk rear pads from jeepswag.com, price was about the same as the lifetime brakes at the local auto parts store. This was my first brake job, rotors were fine, very easy job, do it yourself.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I am changing mine tomorrow along with my diff oil. It is common for the rear brakes to go first on the JK's. The consensus is that it is due to all the traction/stability control gizmos. I am just about to hit 48K miles, which is not too bad.

Babiehughie...isnt it necessary to bleed the brakes? I would not mind skipping that step if it is not needed. Sounds like a pain in the ass.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I am changing mine tomorrow along with my diff oil. It is common for the rear brakes to go first on the JK's. The consensus is that it is due to all the traction/stability control gizmos. I am just about to hit 48K miles, which is not too bad.

Babiehughie...isnt it necessary to bleed the brakes? I would not mind skipping that step if it is not needed. Sounds like a pain in the ass.
If you are just replacing pads and disc, it is not necessary to bleed the brakes.
When you compress the caliper so the pads will clear the ridge on the disc, keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't overflow.
When all is back together, just pump the pedal to seat the pads. The first push will probably go quite a ways.
Check the fluid level. If it needs topping off, do so.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool!! Thanks for the reply, ronjenx
Old 03-20-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default brakes

thanks, much appreceated

Quick Reply: brakes