Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake lock diff

Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lock diff

I need info about the brake lock differential. My understanding is that this works somewhat as a "locker", but in order for it to work it, there needs to be some brake effort. I read that one can apply the hand brake a few notches and this will be accomplished. Is this possible with an open diff? and will this work only on the rear or will it also work on the front when in 4wd? I've never heard of this before and could not see any info on it in the owner's manual
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

x2 on wanting more info
Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can tell you this.
From what I;ve seen of it... That being an X unlimited stuck/spilling in snow. It does not appear to be very effective. It certainly isnt clear that its working if it is... Unlike an actual locker.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

JKFreek, did you have the brake partially applied while applying the gas or did you have the hand brake pulled a few notches?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

the jeep does need some forward momentum for it to work... if you're entirely stuck and spinning the wheels the traction control will kick in and all is a loss. the way it works is A) i beleive you have to be in four wheel lo.... aside from that, as you wheel starts to spin, the jeep applies the brakes lightly all by itself to the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other side. So essentially it only works with an open diff... now in the past with my TJ before we had all this fancy stuff... if i'd start spinning the wheels, i'd tap the brakes myself here and there to transfer power to the other side, or put the brakes on with light pressure to help get unstuck... but the JK is supposed to do it for you... Check the owners manual, i beleive there is a blurb on it in there
Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

I've had good luck with it. I've always turned off the esp, or at least partially off. Takes a little gas for it to kick in, but I think it works fairly well.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
JKFreek, did you have the brake partially applied while applying the gas or did you have the hand brake pulled a few notches?
I've never done this in the JK. Never needed to; the system seems to know what to do. Something I've done on older 4wd's though.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

I attempted the Bronco Peak trial in San Deigo a couple of weeks ago. 2.7 miles of uphill rock raging madness. I have 35s and a 4" SL, rear locker and open front. This trip took about 5 hours to get thru it all. Had to winch twice. Extremely challenging.

What I learned: Need more ground clearnace. Rock sliders are mandatory. Whenever I was stuck it seemed that the one of the front tires was not turning and the traction control really didn't help. I tried using the brakes but it did not help.

I just bought a mopar dana 44 with the locker on ebay. Whooohoooo. Now for the sliders.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

anyone else have any info?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found the BLD to be very effective when coupled with the limited slip rear end. It applies braking to the slipping wheel and the LSD then transfers the power to the other wheel. It's totally computer controlled and to me it's like having a locker that I don't have to think about or even stop the vehicle in order to use. The only people who I've seen have trouble with it are the old unflexible TJ owners who had the system before Jeep figured it out or those without the limited slip as well (Do they even have BLD?). On the JK, you do NOT engage the brake in any way. That disturbs the computer algorithms so it can't figure out what you want to do. You drive while it figures out which wheel needs the power. I'm putting a locker in the front, but so far the rear system has taken me over the river, through the snow not to mention some very rocky places.

Quick Reply: Brake lock diff