Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake Lights stuck On

Old 01-12-2016, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights stuck On

The short summary is; my emergency brake cable had been broken at the handle since buying the Jeep used (manual transmission):
  • I got a new part in swapped them out pulled up brake and the Jeep still rolled (probably why they kept pulling the e-brake until it broke)
  • Pulled the real wheel adjusted out the inner drum pads for the e-brake; snugged it up; jump back in the jeep and yay I have an emergency brake
  • Now from time to time I see after walking away from parking my two rear brake lights are on (not the 3rd over the wheel)
  • I tap the brakes and adjust the e-brake; walk to back of Jeep and they are off
    • At no point with the key out is the brake light on the dash on; is when in aux mode for e-brake but disappears when I lower the e-brake
  • I messed with the brake switch behind the actual brake pedal; but thinking this can't be it since the 3rd brake light doesn't get stuck on

So the question is, what switch is causing this? Could over-tighting the drum e-brakes cause it?

Just for fun here is the broken e-brake cable:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-31 12.27.24.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	634419  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

What year is your JK?

Next time it happens, don't touch the parking brake lever. Pull back on the brake pedal to make it further depress the brake pedal switch. See what happens. If no change, then see if moving the parking brake lever makes a difference. It should not, as the two systems are not interconnected.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What year is your JK?
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Old 01-30-2016, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

Got home tonight after being gone for 4 hours or so and pull in the driveway to find the jeep brake lights on again (took the wifes car out). Good news unlike I remember before is that all three brake lights were on. Went inside and grabbed the jeep keys and made sure to put the emergency brake down first without touching the brake pedal. Lights stayed on.

Tapped the brake pedal and all three lights when off; so sounds like it's the switch for sure. I read how you can adjust the switches but the weird part is my switch doesn't like those in the images (pictured below). Mine instead of this adjustable plunger is more like a rubber bolt cap or screw thread cover (2nd image below). I tried pulling the whole assembly to see if I can adjust it; in fear if pull just the cap the whole thing will just come off.

The brake switch seems cheap enough at $20 so will just replace it unless y'all have other ideas. Thanks as always

Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Good news, easy fix saved $10

Some goof must of put a cap on it for reason it unknown; simply pulled it out popped it off; extended to full length and let Jeep reset it to proper length.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-01-31 12.19.45.png
Views:	2697
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	636267  

Quick Reply: Brake Lights stuck On