Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake Light Stays on?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Stays on?

Okay guys, I have a brake light that keeps coming on. I washed my engine and under side yesterday and this morning the light came on and i have tried to reset it by removing the battery cable for 10 minutes but it is still on. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
JK Jedi

Is your parking brake fully released?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine started doing this while on the trail this weekend after i heard a rock flip up and hit something underneath. the light was on when the parking brake is all the way off. the light woul go off if i barely lifted the lever up. i got under neath and felt around and wiggle the parking brake cable around a bit an both rear wheels got back in the jeep and the problem was fixed. no more brake light. and it hasn't stayed on since
Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chris333
mine started doing this while on the trail this weekend after i heard a rock flip up and hit something underneath. the light was on when the parking brake is all the way off. the light woul go off if i barely lifted the lever up. i got under neath and felt around and wiggle the parking brake cable around a bit an both rear wheels got back in the jeep and the problem was fixed. no more brake light. and it hasn't stayed on since
Well i tried your suggestion but it still didn't work. I finally gave up and decided to put that damn warenty into use while i still have it. LOL I will up date you guys on what i find out.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wondering what the outcome was. Mine will come on when I hit a bump then go off again.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY THIS IS HAPPENING! LET US KNOW!! I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM..JUST STARTED FRIDAY EVENING...I was driving and I came to a red light, stopped and heard a "ding" I looked up and the Brake light was on! My hand brake wasn't on at all! i Tried putting the hand brake on then releasing it.. NOTHING! HELP US!!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Is there a switch that has migrated out of adjustment near the base of the handle?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

The hand brake light also monitors ur brake fluid level and ABS/ESP module. If brake fluid level is low or something wrong with the ABS/ESP module the light will not switch off. Check brake fluid level, if thats ok take it to ur dealer for warranty. I just had my brake fluid level sensor replaced for the same problem on thursday.

Cheers
TRBN8R
Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

My fluid was low. Checked it after I made my post and it was pretty low. Added some Dot3 up to the max line and all is well. No idea why it is low. Have never had the brake system apart and vo visible leaks. Will keep an eye on it though.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GadgetFreek
My fluid was low. Checked it after I made my post and it was pretty low. Added some Dot3 up to the max line and all is well. No idea why it is low. Have never had the brake system apart and vo visible leaks. Will keep an eye on it though.
If your pads are now warn down it could end up low, if it was originally low from the factory when the brake pads were new. That happened to me in my last truck.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Stays on?