Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake kits????????

Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelgrave
OP you're asking about a trailer brake system? Is this just when your towing or something?.
Not asking about a trailer brake system. I want better brakes to avoid having to get trailer brakes.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

The calipers are made by teraflex, they aren't off the shelf from what I understand. The rotors and pads I thought they said were a generic. Try the search, thought it was Joe in a post on here that he said what they were.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor

Well you could have engineered the kit yourself first and R&D it and then give away the source list so everyone else can benny from your time.

650+ bucks for a set of calipers , pads and rotors that upgrade installation "requires no cutting, welding or adapter bracketry" may be just right for the do it at home in your driveway on the weekend guy. especially being it seems to be a decent set of components that work.
Relax dude. I didn't say it wasn't worth it. Just that it's more than I'm willing to spend.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RcCola
My problem with all "big brake" upgrade kits is in a few years if the company goes under or stops making the kit where do you buy the pads? or if you want to run a different pad then they offer.
Teraflex was clear they use the Dodge 1500 pads and the disks can be whatever you want in the same size & bolt pattern. A lot of 13" rotors out there if you do not get more from teraflex. It really is not hard to handle if I can do it.

After adding larger wheels and tires the kit was absolutely worth it.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Rebel Offroad has a pretty great kit. Put it on mine, as did a buddy of mine with 39.5" Pitbull Maddogs. Much better than stock.

h t t p://www.rebeloffroad.com/Off_Road_Performance_Brakes_s/59.htm
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
Not asking about a trailer brake system. I want better brakes to avoid having to get trailer brakes.
Initially I was going to go with a big brake kit instead of trailer brakes. I still would like to eventually get the "Big Brake Kit".

But I installed the 7 pin wiring harness, a good trailer brake controller, and electric trailer brakes for less than that front brake kit costs.

After I thought about it, I concluded that it is still safer to have the trailer assist in braking. In an emergency stop I was thinking there is much less chance of the trailer jackknifing on me (trying to go around my Jeep), and taking me with it.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-11-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also highly recommend going with a trailer brake system. Just rewired the Jeep and popup and did our first trip with the trailer brakes this past weekend and it made a huge difference coming down out of the mountains not having the full weight of the trailer pushing the back end around.

Quick Reply: Brake kits????????