Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake Calipers

Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Calipers

are the front and rear calipers the same size? I know most vehicles the rear are smaller so i am wondering if the Jeeps are also.

I ask because tonight i rotated my tires. Front to back (directional tires). My rims have the weights on the inside and some places the weights are stacked on top of each other. SO after i get through i go driving but i hear the rubbing noise up front. I am wondering if where the stacked weights are if the top weight is barely coming in contact with the front caliper. I drove enough tonight to where it should leave some mark so tomorrow when i pull the rim back off i will be able to see. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone?? ?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok figured it out.

First off, the calipers on the rear are smaller. Looks like the rims are kinda crappy made and who knows what she ordered. I bought my Jeep lifted and rims/tires from the dealer. it was a promo Jeep out front.

Anyways, here are pictures. All 4 rims have the same marks NOW but the other 3 its really really light and this one it definitly dug a lot deeper in

Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigJerm
ok figured it out.

First off, the calipers on the rear are smaller. Looks like the rims are kinda crappy made and who knows what she ordered. I bought my Jeep lifted and rims/tires from the dealer. it was a promo Jeep out front.

Anyways, here are pictures. All 4 rims have the same marks NOW but the other 3 its really really light and this one it definitly dug a lot deeper in

I'm not really an expert at this,but kind of looks like it's not the right off-set and the wheels are rubbing the caliper.Just my 2 cents
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes they are rubbing. all the wheels seem to have rubbed some, just not nearly as much as this one is. I have no clue on what the wheels are. It was all dealer install prior to me ever seeing the Jeep. The shop that did it had the tires aired up to 40 PSI (roughest ride you ever had) and didnt even put new shocks or shock extension brackets with the 2.5" coil spacers AND the dealer thought they were 32" tires.... SO yeah.... guess ill get some new rims one day
Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just hit the caliper with a grinder, it wont hurt em. Plus, i doubt your wheel is botled up safely.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Former Member

I don't know for sure but in the old days we'd question the integrity of those mods.
I'd go back and have a chat with that boy.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

i had the same issue when i rotated my tires. the fit is so tight on the front calipers that i guess one of my wheels was odd shaped or something and rubbed.

since your dealer installed i would take it back and let them fix it. grinding the calipers is easy enough but make the dealer fix it.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
i had the same issue when i rotated my tires. the fit is so tight on the front calipers that i guess one of my wheels was odd shaped or something and rubbed.

since your dealer installed i would take it back and let them fix it. grinding the calipers is easy enough but make the dealer fix it.
Are you dealing with aftermarket rims or stock? Rims from the manufacturer are designed to be rotated without getting a grinder and faceshield out of the tool box.
There's no separate tire silo on the assembly line for front or rear.
Is the spare on the back a front or rear?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Are you dealing with aftermarket rims or stock? Rims from the manufacturer are designed to be rotated without getting a grinder and faceshield out of the tool box.
There's no separate tire silo on the assembly line for front or rear.
Is the spare on the back a front or rear?
they are 16" American Racing wheels.

I checked my spair and it seems to fit with no rubbing like the others did. I believe when i go with the TSB's ill have a little chat. I was upset to find out i bought a Jeep that had tires so big the speedo and odometer where off.

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers