Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake Caliber Fell Off While Driving - Pictures, and Dealership Advice Needed

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I helped with Cyrus gusset install. The breaks were never pulled.

As far as the comments on the break replacements. I just changed my rears at 51k. My front still have 60%. Maybe I dont use break enough.

Cyrus what the latest??
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 AM
JK Freak

What to Hey are you talking about if He did it own up to it ? The man said the breaks were never touched.

Last edited by Rhino64; 04-13-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Hey, man.

Sorry to hear about your jeep. I have ran into similar event. But you can not blame the dealership unless they have done the work that caused the problem. I was turned away because of wreck damage that was repaired at another dealer. I talked to the manager and asked him to do a good faith repair and he did it for me.

I am wondering how you lifted your jeep and not unhook you breaks. I can only think of one or two ways and its really not a safe way to do it. You are playing with fire and most get burnt bad. I have installed 4 lifts personally, and have helped on more then I can count. I have also helped on more drops on street cars than I can count.

I just watched local dealer install a kit on a 2010 JKL. An I was brought in to help him when the tech had questions. Don't ask, I have a rep there for knowing what I am talking about. The 2 1/2 lift was so tight in the rear it was straining the rear break lines and full drop. An that was after the tech had bent the lines as far as it could safely be bent. The front was not much better. 99% of the time you remove the calipers and the shocks for lift. I have only seen the 2 ways I said earlier in Auto Tech Class. The boy was lucky and was not hurt. Spring, after it stopped bouncing around the shop was ok. Its like holding a fire cracker. Bang!!!.

I know it stinks. But maybe you can ask them to just repair/replace the caliper and you buy all the other parts. A lift is nice on a jeep, but watch out. I seen them not touch lifted jeeps at some dealers do to the fact, they do not want something to come back to them. You have to think, if they fix your jeep and 1 week later, the brake system acts up your gonna try and blame it on them. I would just ask for a repair of the brake not wheel and buy new pads and rotors.

As a few said. If you didit, own up to it. I am not perfect. Had a brake pad that kept falling off in my tj. Got pissed and rung the the wheel nuts tight but by hand and did not check them. I 3 wheeled the wrangler till the I hit the brakes and front dropped to the ground and slid.
I appreciate your input, but your statement that 99% of the time you remove the brake calipers to install a lift is simply incorrect. Particularly so when you're talking about a lift as simple as the 2.5" Teraflex budget boost on my Wrangler.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I helped with Cyrus gusset install. The breaks were never pulled.

As far as the comments on the break replacements. I just changed my rears at 51k. My front still have 60%. Maybe I dont use break enough.

Cyrus what the latest??
Thanks for having my back Roger. The latest is still waiting to hear back from them... I'm about to call again and see what's up, I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whatever happened with the dealer? Just curious about if they finally paid for it or not.

Quick Reply: Brake Caliber Fell Off While Driving - Pictures, and Dealership Advice Needed